GFP Axolotl?

capn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Brittany
Hey all! I decided to pull out an older aquarium I've had to get it set up for a betta and it came with an LED light that can change colors. I randomly held the light over Harry Pottl's tank and it looks like he glows a bit. It's not a bright glow like I've seen with some axolotl pictures where they're GFP. So do all axolotls kind of glow, or could Harry have been fed some GFP?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,892
GFP is a genetic inherited trait from birth, they have or dont have jellyfish protein DNA. I'm heavily simplifying. Food doesnt have any influence unfortunately. Nice looking under that light though.

I just assumed GFP axolotls were that way because their food was injected with it, but I guess that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. XD

Could Harry be the offspring of a GFP axolotl then?

From the picture it looks like a gfp wild type.

The reason he only looks slightly GFP is because the light doesn't fully activate the GFP qualities. However, black lights apparently cook axolotls or something. Blue LED's lightly show off the subtle glow, which I think is perfect.

That's good to know. I try not to have a lot of light on him. The blue led light was even only on him long enough for me to see him glow and take a few pictures. But he was advertised as a GFP axie, so it's really neat that he is one.

That's good to know. I try not to have a lot of light on him. The blue led light was even only on him long enough for me to see him glow and take a few pictures. But he was advertised as a GFP axie, so it's really neat that he is one.

The golden in my picture along with the spotted mel in my album were both GFP and I kept a blue led bubble wand on in their tank at night. Really incredible to watch them in the blue light, it's harmless to them and doesn't make them glow ridiculously, just a little bit.

Before the axolotl police come to get me about leaving a blue light on at night, they had tons of hides and the light was by no means bright, it was a small bubble wand with a few led dots on it.

black lights apparently cook axolotls or something. Blue LED's lightly show off the subtle glow, which I think is perfect.

How does the black light cook the axolotl?

I'm not sure what kind of UV tolerance axolotls have but true black lights,(315nm-400nm), emit UVA radiation. In humans this is the same wavelength of light that causes sunburn, and at the lower end of the scale can cause eye damage and possibly increase the development of skin cancer according to recent studies by degrading DNA. I've heard from others for years that UVA/UVB may be harmful to caudata, although I cant say I've seen much research about the subject. I wish there was more being done to learn about this. I personally shy away from it just in case. As a general rule if an animal is nocturnal, aquatic or subterranean,(including leaf litter species), they have no need for UV light because it cannot reach them in any substantial amounts and possibly lack the means to protect themselves from the detrimental effects. Obviously this is the opposite in basking species such as some dart frogs, african bull frogs, iguanas, bearded dragons and such, they have high tolerances and sometimes need UV in some form for metabolic processes.

Don't ask me I'm simply going off of what the axolotl police say on here.

I asked you because you made the statement. I question the use of making such statements without having statistics or at least anecdotal evidence to back them up.

I asked you because you made the statement. I question the use of making such statements without having statistics or at least anecdotal evidence to back them up.

Woah now. I've seen multiple reliable sources on here state that black lights 'cook' axolotls if exposed for extended periods of time. People that have been on this site for a very long time and have very high reputations on here. I'm not going to name drop but you know who the big names are around here and I've seen multiple instances of them stating that black lights are not safe for axolotls. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way good sir.

Woah now. I've seen multiple reliable sources on here state that black lights 'cook' axolotls if exposed for extended periods of time. .

I simply don't remember ever seeing a post that said black lights "cook" gfp axolotls. I've been on the forum a long time, am an active participant, and have kept thousands of gfp axolotls. It has been my experience that gfp axolotls will fluoresce under broad spectrum lights. GFP axolotls are irritated by black light when it is first turned on. It has been conjectured that black light is bad for them but I have never seen any proof. I rarely use any more uv light on my axolotls than what is in a broad spectrum light.

I don't know but this stuff sounds scientific and smart.

I'm not sure what kind of UV tolerance axolotls have but true black lights,(315nm-400nm), emit UVA radiation. In humans this is the same wavelength of light that causes sunburn, and at the lower end of the scale can cause eye damage and possibly increase the development of skin cancer according to recent studies by degrading DNA. I've heard from others for years that UVA/UVB may be harmful to caudata, although I cant say I've seen much research about the subject. I wish there was more being done to learn about this. I personally shy away from it just in case. As a general rule if an animal is nocturnal, aquatic or subterranean,(including leaf litter species), they have no need for UV light because it cannot reach them in any substantial amounts and possibly lack the means to protect themselves from the detrimental effects. Obviously this is the opposite in basking species such as some dart frogs, african bull frogs, iguanas, bearded dragons and such, they have high tolerances and sometimes need UV in some form for metabolic processes.

Woah now. I've seen multiple reliable sources on here state that black lights 'cook' axolotls if exposed for extended periods of time.

Wow. You must be on a different forum then! The problem with making axies glow under UV is twofold:
1. A GFP axie has GFP in every cell of their body. When exposed to UV every cell touched by the UV fluoresces. Since axies have no eyelids their eyeballs and the insides of their eyes glow. To the axie this is the equivalent of having a 1000000 candlepower flashlight shone in your eyes with your eyelids held open. It hurts them and distresses them, and is generally considered to be quite cruel.
2. UV is known to cause burns and mutations in DNA, by keeping a UV light on for extended periods you are effectively giving them sunburn and potentially tumours - exactly the same as other animals exposed to strong UV for extended lengths of time.

This is how myths get perpetuated - a mis-remembered tidbit repeated on a forum becomes a known 'fact' and everyone starts to believe it.
So please think twice and go back and check real facts before regurgitating something you think you read a few months ago. The only reference I can find to 'cooking' axolotls is where they are deep fried on a skewer as a delicacy....

What in the world people...
I dare say that when you cook food you apply heat and it begins to burn. You just stated that UV lights burn them. Thus what we said is the same exact thing although I didn't go into specific detail as to why. I think you need to calm down as I was only trying to provide information that I've seen stated by people who are more educated on axolotls than I am. At the very most what I said was hyperbolic or misworded and in no way deserves to be scrutinized to that extent. Extended exposure causes sunburning, I've specifically read that it can cause burning on the inside of their body due to their translucent exterior, thus the word "cooking" comes to mind. I'm sorry that I didn't run to google to double check the exact specific details as to why someone would say that it would hurt them. Just like when I read that dosing fertilizers and co2 are toxic to axolotls, I read that from someone who has been on this site far longer than I have and therefore I took it to be truthful and stayed away from that sort of thing.
I'm simply an amateur hobbyist who has an axolotl and tries to take the best care of it possible. I'm simply an amateur hobbyist who wants to help other amateur hobbyists on this website, and if I accidentally misinterpret something that is bad for an axolotl I do believe that it's better that I said it rather than left it unsaid and see someone possibly expose an axolotl to a black light for extended periods of time.

I do not agree with the angst and blatantly over the top response and accusations against me for trying to spread information, information that wasn't entirely incorrect or even remotely false in the first place. Very very disheartening and upsetting to see people act that way over something so minuscule.

All three of my axolotls (golden albino, leucistic and wild type) are GFP. I have an adjustable UV flashlight. Its lens is convex, set in a movable collar to focus or de-focus the light.

I don't shine the UV flashlight at the axies very often because I noticed right away that they flinch and take off when the light hits them. When I do use it, I adjust it so the light is less intense, and only shine it on their tail and body for a few seconds.

The UV purple light is a lot more intense than the blue LED light, that's why the wild type axie in the OP only has a faint glow.

FYI axies aren't the only creatures that fluoresce in UV light. Almost all scorpion species do as well. The glow protein is in their exoskeleton. It's a good way to look for scorpions if you're concerned about one hiding around your home.

Just like when I read that dosing fertilizers and co2 are toxic to axolotls, I read that from someone who has been on this site far longer than I have and therefore I took it to be truthful and stayed away from that sort of thing.

Why bother with CO2 just for the issue that most rooted plants will be dug up by them?

According the the new Salamandra book, algira ssp. (would be same with S.s. longistrosis) also can be benefited by UV. I sometimes give mine UV from a moderate strength bulb for no longer than 1.5 hour per day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back