Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: GFP Mowgli and Leucistic Piccolo

bunny27

Reaction score
Hi. I haven't posted pictures of them for a long time now. They're still big trouble makers. Currently, they are both in the fridge since the basement is getting warmer and their tanks are at 23-24 degrees C. Piccolo is at 9 inches long and Mowgli is 4 inches. Enjoy them!

wassup_by_bunny27.jpg
Piccolo

mow.jpg
Mowgli

BONUS (can you guys find them XD) :

ispy.jpg ispy2.jpg

Old tanks btw.

bunny27

Reaction score
@ hotchikisu: Haha. I was a first time owner when I got Piccolo and I didn't know at the time that leucistics can have spots so i was so scared that I had done something to her! But her spots are cool :p.

@ ttamra: Thanks!! They're kind of camera shy so I don't post often haha!

@ Mac Myers: Thanks and LMAO, Mowgli just likes to walk like he's missing a limb :D.

@ dragonlady: Aww, thank you!!! I can't wait till Mowgli grows as big as Piccolo. Mowgli's my first baby axie. :love:.

@ Skilly: Thanks *blushes*. I will remember to tell them both that XD.

bunny27

Reaction score
@ Cynth: Thank you!!! and LAWLS, his eyes look like beads glued onto his head.

Anyways, UPDATE!!!

I bought a fan today and managed to lower Mowgli's tank from 24 degrees C to 22 degrees C, so I'm going to put him back and see what happens. Mowgli's been in the fridge with Piccolo for 3 months now because of the really hot summer here and I heard that fridging a growing axie will stunt it so he's going back ASAP. I'll be monitoring Mowgli and his behavior incase he needs to go back in the fridge. Anyways, here's some pictures I thought was funny. He's waiting for his water temp in the tubberware to match the one in his tank, which is 22 degrees C.

mowgli1.jpg-----peek alotl much?

mowgli2.jpg

mowgli3.jpg

I feel like Mowgli is growing kinda slow, but again it's my first time having a small axie. I got him since 24th of December 2010 when he was about 2 inches and now he's only a little bit over 4 inches...what do you guys think? He's eating only blackworms and chopped nightcrawlers..

sek

Reaction score
Mowgli is so adorable!! As for you fan, it would help by putting a wet cloth over it to blow cold air. Works everytime :)

Mac Myers

Reaction score
22°C is still a bit too warm IMNHO.
Axolotls seem to be most other creatures. Some are smaller and slower to grow. I have 4 that were all the same age more or less. All received the same types (frozen Bloodworms, Salmon Pellets, Earthworms) and amount of food. 1 just doesn't grow as fast and is a "kinder, gentler, soul". He's got his own tank for a while to bulk up. :happy:

bunny27

Reaction score
@ deliriah: Thank you so much! :D.

@ sek: A wet cloth eh? I'll give it a try! Thanks!

@ Mac Myers: Thanks for the information!!! It's reassuring that axies don't all grow at the same rate :D . I too think that 22 degrees C is too warm, but some people say axies are okay under 23 degrees C and some say they aren't. I just decided to put him in the tank and see if Mowgli will be those that do okay in 22 degrees C. Someone told me that fridging them will stunt their growth, so I'm just a little wary...The fridge is 5 degrees C and Mowgli loved it in there, but if it stops his growth, I don't want that. So far Mowgli hasn't been acting differently in the tank yet...Please give me more info if what I said was incorrect! This is my first summer with these two axies, so I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
20 is my cut-off, but just watch him as I know you already do. When it comes to axolotls, the cooler the better I think. 16-19 is still my optimum that I shoot for because some of mine stop eating at higher temps which goes against some of what I have read out here too...Higher temps should = higher metabolism. In my case it = unhappy, stressed axolotls.

The fridge will definitely stunt his growth - cooler temp + lower metabolism = no growth. He is growing slowly, but no worries, he'll suddenly shoot up like a teenage boy and you will be left to wonder where that adorable little finger nipper went! ;)

Try the wet towel, it didn't help me that much but has worked for many others. I may not have been doing it correctly - I also wondered about freezing the towel first but haven't tried that because I haven't figured out how to keep it regulated.

Also, larger bodies of water are easier to keep cool once you get them cool too so keep that in mind in case you didn't already know.

Of course, Mowgli is just adorable! Hope he enjoys being back home!

Morrison

Reaction score
Aww. There's our Mowgli and Piccolo :D
I just saw them on DA as well!​

dazkeirle

Reaction score
20 is my cut-off, but just watch him as I know you already do. When it comes to axolotls, the cooler the better I think. 16-19 is still my optimum that I shoot for because some of mine stop eating at higher temps which goes against some of what I have read out here too...Higher temps should = higher metabolism. In my case it = unhappy, stressed axolotls.

I know it' not ideal but the lowest mine gets is 19, during the day with the fan on we're talking 20.5 - 21, 22 is when my alarm sounds and I do a water change to get it down in a gradual fashion. his tank would never be at 22 for more than 15-30 minutes though before I dealt with it. He spends 90% of the time between 19.5 and 20.5 and I maintain that with just a little 2x aquarium fan.

Fred was raised in a conservatory though, so I can only imagine that for 9 months he was subjected to heat of anywhere up to 40 degrees, so hot and in direct light in fact that his tank was dark green with algea (i must stress this wasn't me, previous owner).

I have spent a lot of time panicking over temperature, but at 22 Fred's behaviour is exactly the same as at 19, he may just be ever so slightly more lethargic but he still swims, eats and everything.

Ideally I will set up a cooler so that i can keep him at 17 or whatever, but right now he doesn't really seem bothered with 19.5 - 21 so if you can get it sub 21 i really wouldn't worry too much.

Some people though really are very particular with temps and their limits are very different. tbh there are no hard and fast rules as each axie is different, just get him as low a temp as you can afford and bare to and keep good observations. Good tank husbandry is the key when you are at higher temps as if you can keep water parameters good, you will have less issues with disease and fungus (or hopefully none at all).

bunny27

Reaction score
@ dragonlady: Thank you so much for the advice!!! I guess I'll have to accept that he's a slow grower :D ! And yes, he does enjoy it in his tank, he's swimming all the time.

@ Morrison: Heey!!! What a surprise! Hope to see you and your axies more on here! They're so cute!

@ dazkeirle: Thanks for the awesome info. I have gotten his tank down to 20 C but that was because the temperature here is getting cooler. The Juvie hasn't been acting nor looking abormal and is eating like pig still, so he's probably alright. I'll still keep an eye on him.

Thanks everyone for caring not only for you axies, but for others! I really appreciate it! :D :D!!

Morrison

Reaction score
The "find Mowgli"-picture makes me go "d'awwww" everytime I see those cute eyes ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1