GFP

BlueMist

Reaction score
Country
United States
What does that mean? Sorry am a newbie doing all my research first :smile:

GFP axolotls are the ones that glow under black light. But the blacklight is stressfull for them so it's best to only using it on occasion or not at all.

Green Fluorescent Protein - it's a pigment that soem axolotls have in their skin that makes them glow under UV light. It's usually considered desirable from a pure looks perspective.

I know it´s rather pointless nitpicking, but it´s not classified as a pigment because it emits light, rather than simply absorb part of a spectrum. Yeah, i know...i´ll go to the corner and be quiet now.

Also its genetic so it will be passed on from generation to generation, I believe it came from lab research with regeneration injecting embryo with jelly fish DNA which contain the GFP cells which allows them to 'glow' and it helped track down the process and full mobility of the missing limb if i`m not mistakes also they can 'Glow in the dark' with a blue LED light as well which i don't is harmful to them.

GFP Axolotls usually have a green tinge on their tails, back and legs and have emerald green eyes which is how they can be identified without putting them under a UV/Black/Blue light.

You can view pictures of GFP axolotls on my profile.

Basically it's the axolotl which makes my boyfriend go..
"Can't we get a green one?"
:D

To be even nitpickier they don't glow, they fluoresce. Both phosphorescent and fluorescent materials absorb energy via light, but phosphorescent materials hold onto their energy via quantum physics transitions, meaning they aren't as bright but they glow longer. Fluorescent materials absorb UV light and emit visible light back almost immediately, making their glow much brighter but only visible while being stimulated by UV light.

>_< I'll go join the quiet corner.

I know it´s rather pointless nitpicking, but it´s not classified as a pigment because it emits light

Well if we're nitpicking.... it doesn't emit light, just reflects...and as such GFP is classified as a fluorescent pigment.
(see above post on the difference between phosphorescence and fluorescence)

Oh no...i can´t stop myself....
It is considered to be light emission because reflection implies no change in the wavelength of the photons, but since fluorescent materials actively change the energy levels (wavelength) of the photons, it is "creating" a new light and therefore, it emits it, rather than simply reflecting an existing stream of them.
Reflection can´t involve absortion, but fluorescence must, otherwise there couldn´t be a change in wavelength.

Quiet corner reprezent!

Here is my little GFP Mac!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374808253.523111.jpg

I wish people would be less gleeful about exposing their deep lake, pigment free animals to UV light for no good reason whatsoever...

Feel like I had to reply to last comment-that picture of my GFP was the FIRST time I used a black light and it was less than 5 minutes. That comment decreased the impressive impression left by your knowledge exhibited to the previous post. Just sayin'. And it IS cool, btw.

Do you mean the last time? Because it being the first time is not good news...
You are of course entitled to think that that post diminishes my contribution, but as i´m sure you already expect, i disagree. I think people happily sharing the fact that they have exposed an unprotected, light sensitive animal to potentially dangerous radiation for any length of time, making it light up from the inside, for fun, is what decreases the quality of the forums and it sets a bad example for others. On the other hand, i think pointing this out, is a valuable contribution, which is why i did it.

As a newbie, I did not understand it was that harmful to my axolotl. People are going to be ignorant and can be empowered by respectful advice. I care greatly for my animals and have gotten and followed great advice on this forum. Don't assume people who make mistakes don't care for their animals.

I didn´t assume anything other than what you chose to share, i criticized the practice, not you. It is not disrespectful in any way to point out a disagreement.

By the way, it´s not that it was necessarily harmful, it might have not been, although the potential is there and many animals clearly show stress at being made to light up from the inside, but rather that it is unnecessary and capricious and it exposes an animal to suboptimal conditions for the very petty benefit of the owner´s enjoyment. Most people don´t even consider the possibility that this may be in any way objectionable which is why i like to point out my objections to it when i encounter it in a thread i frequent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back