Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ghost shrimp nutrition?

Sallermander

Reaction score
I was thinking of putting ghost shrimp in with my little newt, probably more for something to forage for if they like the shrimp (I won't get any larger then they can eat). Or is there something better nutrition-wise I can put in the enclosure for my newt to forage for as an occasional meal?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen any nutritional data for ghost shrimp, but they should be pretty good. Don't be surprised if the shrimp are too fast to be caught though.

Sallermander

Reaction score
I did end up adding some for sand cleanup, they did end up being too fast, and I think he caught some off guard actually, because a few days later his belly was bulging and I thought some were missing

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
I keep a few ghost shrimp with my Pleurodeles waltl (sub-adult). The shrimp may 'gambol' around the tank like apparent lambs to the slaughter....:eek:......but they prove MUCH too fast for "Mr Pleurodeles 'McFatWorm-withCheese' Waltl" if they consider themselves to be on the menu.
I'd say that the shrimp would be quite good in terms of their nutrition/digestibilty.....I would be inclined to say that they have a decent Calcium content also and can be 'gut-fed' with nutrition easily.
I remember from a previous thread about the differences in prices of ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes?) between the UK and the USA. They tend to go for 4 shrimp/£10 in my LFS in the UK....$3.50 per shrimp?
With this species the breeding conditions need to be brackish/estuary conditions, I believe, which would be challenging to recreate.
Red cherry shrimp however, can breed in freshwater very easily given favourable conditions...... http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...mp-slaters-woodlice-etc/64695-got-shrimp.html
Hope this helps :happy:

Sallermander

Reaction score
I keep a few ghost shrimp with my Pleurodeles waltl (sub-adult). The shrimp may 'gambol' around the tank like apparent lambs to the slaughter....:eek:......but they prove MUCH too fast for "Mr Pleurodeles 'McFatWorm-withCheese' Waltl" if they consider themselves to be on the menu.
I'd say that the shrimp would be quite good in terms of their nutrition/digestibilty.....I would be inclined to say that they have a decent Calcium content also and can be 'gut-fed' with nutrition easily.
I remember from a previous thread about the differences in prices of ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes?) between the UK and the USA. They tend to go for 4 shrimp/£10 in my LFS in the UK....$3.50 per shrimp?
With this species the breeding conditions need to be brackish/estuary conditions, I believe, which would be challenging to recreate.
Red cherry shrimp however, can breed in freshwater very easily given favourable conditions...... http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...mp-slaters-woodlice-etc/64695-got-shrimp.html
Hope this helps :happy:

Wow, $3.50? The most expensive I've seen here was fourty scents (In Colorado)

Black leaves

Reaction score
hey.. i got some experience with these ghost shrimp.. in Malaysia these shrimp is available at our pond,stream.. so we usually catch them wild... what i did is that i frozen these shrimp just after i catch them or you can just kill them and feed them to your salamender or your axolotl, thats my experience and my newt and salamander love it... :D:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1