Gifting Diacomptodon tenebrosus from Oregon?

Creekratt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anybody know if Dicomptodon tenebrosus can be gifted from Oregon residents to non residents? I have talked to someone in the ODFW thinking a non resident could acquire a collection permit. I for got to ask them. Well the short answer is a big fat no. Yea,it definitely burst my bubble. Residents can take 2 with permit and other requirements. I am hoping to acquire them and hopefully breed them. I do know for certain that these cannot be taken from WA. as pets, and only be taken for research. As far as CA. is concerned I'm 95% certain they cannot be taken there either. I'm probably grasping at straws, but I'm trying to keep hope alive. Thanx for any input. It would be nice to know so I can either put this to rest or....

Last edited:
You can google these types of laws of any state. Also, be mindful that some states may have changed laws recently too. Someone on here a few weeks made the false claim that ambystoma mexicanum were illegal in my own state of Virginia based on a law prior to August of 2021. They are currently the only ambystoma species that are legal in my state.

I've googled this with every wording you could think of and almost became obesessive. There is so much material on ODFW site to wade through I think my finger is starting to blister, lol.

Finding and understanding state amphibian regulations is difficult. Going directly to the person in charge of regulation enforcement might be a good approach. Try to get the head guy because often different people on the enforcement team have different understandings of how the regulations apply.

It is not as simple as googling state amphibian regulations and finding them. I'm a registered amphibian breeder and seller in Pa. and get updates from my states Fish and Boat commission on regulation changes for my state. It is still difficult to understand some of my states regulations.

Finding and understanding state amphibian regulations is difficult. Going directly to the person in charge of regulation enforcement might be a good approach. Try to get the head guy because often different people on the enforcement team have different understandings of how the regulations apply.

It is not as simple as googling state amphibian regulations and finding them. I'm a registered amphibian breeder and seller in Pa. and get updates from my states Fish and Boat commission on regulation changes for my state. It is still difficult to understand some of my states regulations.
Thank you Mike and Austic. I did talk to someone in ODWF after being shuffled around a bit by staff that wasn't sure. He ( should of got name) assured me that non OR. residents cannot get proper permits. He stated " non residents cannot get a permit, were not sure what they will do with them ,sell or whatever" I have interests in different amphibians and reptiles that are found through out the U.S. So I've learned, ask the right person and don't rely on Google or reading state regulations. As mentioned they can be misinterpreted and can be misleading. As far as the misleading is concerned I have a good example of this. In my home state of MI. it is clearly stated in the fishing regulations booklet and on MDNR website. You can collect certain species of amphibians that are not threatened. They do have a season stated in regulations. So reading this, one might think o.k. I can legally collect allowed animals. Well to my dismay after talking to Tom Goinea from the MDNR he tells me any animal with a " season" cannot be kept as pets in MI. Uhh say what, than why is it stated in regulations you can collect certain listed amphibians with limits on counts in any combinnation? It doesn't state at least in this statement about someone needing a scientific collection permit. Go figure! Here's the kicker! You can have these animals as long as they come from a legal out of state source. Tom also advised me "don't breed them" because if the numbers you have don't match your receipt.... I don't actually know there are laws on breeding out of state animals, but how would you prove the babies weren't wild caught? Tom also stated " we do keep an eye on sites like Craigslist" The good thing though is that I can at least keep some of my favorites that are in MI.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back