Gill Disease (please respond Joan S.

R

rebekka

I think my axolotl has gill disease. Her gills have shrank very noticeably. They are red and very short. She has several wirery long gill filliments that looked clamped together. She ate a little for me, but is flicking her gills very rapidly. I am treating the tank with marycyn two, I am wondering if salt baths would help as well. Also I have spotted two white dots on her body about the size of salt but the wont go away. I want to revive my Squishy's health. I hope it isn't too late

I'm flattered.

Can you post a picture?

What are the parameters of your tank? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and temperature. How long has the tank been running?

Also, what kind of filter do you have, and do you have an airstone running?

I wouldn't do whole-tank treatments of any medication, as this could kill your biological filter, which is bad. I'm not familiar with marycyn 2, what are you using it to treat?

Are the white dots fuzzy? Or raised bumps in any way?

I don't know the nitrite or ammonia levels in the tank the ph is 7.6 I have already done a whole filter change. I am using the maracyn to to treat gill disease and hopefully the white dots which seem to me to be small parasites. The tank is about 73degrees at this point. I'm trying to post a picture but it isn't easy. <center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msword.gif
Squishi's gills
~$uishi's gills.doc (0.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Definately get some test kits and test your water parameters.

Ammonia/nitrite excess can be deadly.

Was your tank cycled?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back