Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill-flicking

DeCypher

Reaction score
This happens quite often with my Axolotls. They constantly make flicking motions with their gills. They flick them back really fast, and this happens at least twice/three times an hour. Why do they do this?

dragonlady

Reaction score
Are they doing anything else? From your description, it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, honestly. If they are not scratching at their gills, shaking their heads, or swimming off erradically, I don't really thing I'd worry about it. I'd suggest that this is just part of their normal breathing.

mewsie

Reaction score
Are they doing anything else? From your description, it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, honestly. If they are not scratching at their gills, shaking their heads, or swimming off erradically, I don't really thing I'd worry about it. I'd suggest that this is just part of their normal breathing.

+1
Our big two do it a lot, i think when they are quite still it flushes fresh water over their gills. Never seen our little one do it cause I've never seen him stay still for very long (even when I had him in a tub, he did laps of it, haha)

maykate

Reaction score
Re: Gill-flicking HELP

NEED HELP :(.. I got an axolotl bought for me and the person that got it for me didnt pass along the care instructions proper.

I cleaned his tank, took 3/4 of the water out.. filled it up with water from the tap, did the PH levels so they were 7.0 but put him in without knowing i had to put conditioner in it..

So i called my friend in a panic when he started acting weird she told me to put the liquid in she gave me and to use a certain amount so i put it in but i accidently put in filter start.. and i think too much filter start than the 60litre needed.. i quickly hunted the conditioner down and put some in.

Hes calmed down but is flicking his gills every 30seconds-few minutes and swims up to the surface really fast every now and then.

I FEEL LIKE SUCHA BAD MUMMY :( im used to dogs and lizards as pets :(..
Can anyone tell me what to do or if hes going to be ok? PLEASE JUST ANYTHING :confused:

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
@ maykate

Don't stress, my lovley little guy gill flicks quite often. Its just a habit of his.Also the swimming up to the surface is air gulping which is also natural. Remember that axi's have both gills and lungs! As said above I wouldn't worry unless he starts to swim around all crazy like... and even then thats is not always a serious thing. Also it is better to condition the water BEFORE you put it in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1