Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill fungus

sebguy

Reaction score
Hi all,
So a few weeks ago little Ari had A run In with some
Dead gill filaments, the bright side is that got better,
But now I think that she definitely has some fungus
On her gill stalk(just on the end of one.
So I've dropped the tank temp from 20 degrees to
Nineteen and have done a water change
Anything else I could do to help her?
Btw she is acting fine and eating fine and doesn't seemed bothered at all
Also sorry for spelling errors typing this from my phone and sorry for the camera quality

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Check your water parameters too and make sure everything is good. Keep the water conditions good and she will probably get over it without any treatment needed.

In these circumstances, some people add almond leaves. Some people add some aquarium salt to the tank water (about 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon, not sure on the metric measurements). Do NOT overdo the salt - axolotls aren't fond of salt water. I just do bigger water changes.

sebguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I'll keep up the water changes pretty frequently for the next few weeks

jord

Reaction score
How did this go? I'm dealing with a similar situation in one of my tanks. I'm dosing with pimafix. I'm on day 3 so we shall see how it goes.

lucyz83

Reaction score
How did this go? I'm dealing with a similar situation in one of my tanks. I'm dosing with pimafix. I'm on day 3 so we shall see how it goes.

I had something similar happen to me last year when i had first set my tank up, i used pimafix as well, & if the fungus is anything like the one my axie had (it was a sort of white cloudy substance that grew on the gills) and it grows to the point where a substantial amount of the soft fungus is hanging off the gills i gently removed it by pulling lightly on the fungus and removing it from the tank (If you try this make absolute sure you can do it without accidently pulling on the gill! i only did it as it was summer and the fungus had grown very rapidly due to the heat and was almost completely smothering the gills, so i could get an easy grip on just the fungus itself, if it's smaller on the gill just let the pimafix treatment do its work) i then continued the pimafix for a few days and it didn't came back after that.

A good preventative or lighter treatment is Indian almond leaf teabags, and of course correct water parameters (water parameters were my problem when my axie got the fungus, now everything is stable and correct i get very few problems at all)

Hopefully this helps you somewhat at least :)

sebguy

Reaction score
over the past few weeks the fungus has been fluctuating sometimes getting bad, but then falling off
ive been keeping up the salt and water changes, but im thinking of doing some salt baths if it gets any worse. but the only difference in behavior is maybe more 'gill flicking' and going up for air

btw, the fungus forms in clumps enveloping the gill filaments only and there are tiny little bit of fungus on the top of her body.
hope you axie gets better jord!
also any more help with my situation would be appreciated

milahoh

Reaction score
I had issues with an especially prolific fungus (white fluff that kept coming back, and would take pieces of gill filament with it when you peeled it off) over the last couple of months. I tried salt baths, tea leaves, the vet, everything they say. Then I read somewhere that methylene blue can be used, and I tried that because I had some left from breeding fish. I used 1/5 the dose for fish, so only 2 drops instead of ten per gallon, or one mL per ten gallons instead of five mL. I completely changed the water three days later and so far, no more fungus. Hope this helps. It will crash your tank cycle, though, so best to be prepared for that. Good luck.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
If you are concerned about the cycle (as we all should be :happy:), you could try that treatment (or any other) in a separate small tank.

milahoh

Reaction score
Laura is correct. I should have mentioned that I had a bloom in ALL my tanks (I think the siphon spread it- now each tank has it's own), and so had to sterilize them as well, so it treated both the axie and the tank. That is very drastic, and was my last choice because everything else failed. Not necessary for every situation. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!