Gills atrophying

MuGuiKeu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello!

So I have my axolotl Mashmalotl who had her tail bitten by her tank mate (just a little bit, it didn't even touch the "muscle" part). I putted her in a separate tank that has been running since few months. I checked the parameters and they are all good. But I've noticed that the gills on the left side seem to atrophy since 2 weeks. Before that, the both sides were identical length, but now the left side is way shorter (but she's not loosing the "hair" of the gills). It doesn't seem to bother her, since she eats her worm everyday and doesn't show any signs of stress. She's recovering well too and there's no sign of infection/fungus. Also, she seems to breath normally.

I hope everything's okay but I just wanted to make sure she's alright :happy:

Thank you!

Here are two pictures:

Attachments

• 20180320_210426.jpg
    20180320_210426.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20180320_210443.jpg
    20180320_210443.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 87
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back