Question: Gills Changed Colour

Livette

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a black axolotl who recently had a strange colour change - his skin has stayed black, but the feathery bits on his gills have turned cherry red. Oddly enough, they turned the same shade as my own hair! i've heard that owners buy pets that look like them, but a pet changing colour to look like its owner is a new one on me.

any ideas what's going on here? they've been red for 2 days now. they look quite pretty, and he doesn't seem distressed at all - eating well, tank temp is fine, etc.

Thanks

The gills will change color depending on what's going on. If they're excited, active, feeding, or warm, the gills will be brighter than normal due to increased oxygen demand.

To the point where black gills go red? for a couple of days? like i said he doesn't seem distressed at all, but just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something important.

Thanks for the quick reply!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back