Gills disappearing?

R

rebecca

Hi there new to this forum. Our dearest Axl has had a fungus and we have treated the tank with salt. Now his gills are becoming stumped. What else can we do and will he survive ok without the full gills. Excuse me if this post has duplicated.

I dont think you are meant to treat the tank with salt, i have always used salt baths externally. As in taken axie out into another tank and bathed them there. Wouldnt the salt in the tank affect the rest of the water and ecosystem?
I think his gills will grow back if you look after the water and enviroment well. Axies generally have good regeneration abilities right?

Depends on how much salt you added to the tank, as I know you can add salt (tho in less doses I think than what would go into a normal fish tank).

Have you done regular weekly waterchanges since the salt was added?

If fungus occurs again, as Malachy says it might be better to do external salt baths (2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre/pint of water [an icecream container usually works] and no longer than 10=15mins as salt burns)

Also, have you tested your other water parameters - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and what is tank temp? And does he have any other tankmates?
Gills can grow back.

(Message edited by kapo on October 01, 2006)

(Message edited by kapo on October 01, 2006)

The addition of salt to the tank is an acceptable method of helping to prevent fungus. The ratios recommended for fresh water live bearers is just fine.

Ed

Did you use regular table salt?

Axies can regenerate, and they can survive with reduced gills. But the fact that he's having fungus suggests other problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back