Gills Flapping After A Water Change

Brasco

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm posting a video of what Tuco does every time I do a weekly 20% water change. I'm not sure what he's doing but usually he frolicks pretty happily around his tank, and it seems like he's really not enjoying himself when he does it. Is this sort of behaviour normal?

YouTube - Tuco After A Water Change

Are you using dechlorinator or any other aquariums aids? Whats the temperature of the tank?

Yeah I use a bit of pH Down (water here is quite alkaline) and some dechlorinator, but I try to let the replacement water stand for 3-4 days before I use it. The water sits at room temperature, as does his tank.

What is the temp of his tank? What is the pH? Axolotls can stand a wide range of pH. Adding this chemical in fact does damage. You would be much better off to allow the axolotl to adjust naturally rather than trying to artificially adjust the pH. The fluctuating pH could be affecting him during water changes. My pH runs around 7.8 and all my guys (11) are happy and healthy.

You should try to get a copy of your water report to see what is actually in your water. The water sitting out will allow chlorine to evaporate but not any trace metals that may be present in the water. Also, if your treatment plant uses chloramines in addition to/instead of chlorine - chloramines do not evaporate. You would need to use a dechlorinator to remove these.

Your guy looks to be a little on the skinny side too. What is his diet?

That video was from the morning I got him - he's a big more rotund now. I feed him frozen turtle dinners, frozen bloodworms, or live gutloaded crickets.

How much current is generated in your tank?

How much current is generated in your tank?

This is a good question, as well as his gills flapping his little filaments look like they are waving in the water flow

got any little worms over the surface of the tanks glass?

If i allow these to build up then they make my axie do this, water change may disturb them...

So is this Flapping of the Gills a sign of distress ?

Looks like the current is too strong, his gills are moving around (not just the flapping)

___

When I do water changes I siphon the clean water into the tank - but onto plants - rock ect, to break the flow, and make it hopefully less stressful

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back