Gills got smaller

D

daniel

I have a 27cm axolotl and it's gills have shrunk and the tail fin has shrunk i dont no why it's happened it look's nice and healthy and it eat's fine other than the gills . This started to happen after putting it form another tank form a aquarium and putting it my tank like i said before i don't no why this is happing and the water con's are fine, just to make sure what are the water con's for an axolotl and what should i do about it thanks!!!

Dan

I was reading somewhere that axy gills are an indication of the oxygen in the water. In slow water the gills are big to allow for max O2 exchange. In fast water the gills are smaller because the o2 is plentiful. But I don't see how gills could shrink so quickly as you say? If you haven't already, check that the air flow is not too fast for your axolotl. As for the tail, I have no idea - sorry. Is he/she maybe just curling a little which makes the tail appear smaller?

Daniel - Did you say you just moved it to a new tank? If you did, was the tank cycled? Have you tested the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

No Cynthia, I got it form an aquarium where they realy look after them, It had realy fluffy big gills, and when i put in my tank that had been cycled for like a month, it was alright for a couple of day's and then the gill's started to srink, the water was fine when i put her in the tank, and about the tail i took a photo just after i put her in the tank ,and now to look at it it now it look's smaller like in hight not length it wird i'm starting to think it's something else in my water , I clean my tank every week 20% and test the water every week> Here are the test result's if it helps p.h 7.0, g.h 192ppm-214ppm, no2 0ppm, no3 5ppm and ammona 0ppm i think thats what there ment to be that why i dont no whats rong, I have the same filter as John Clare has got with the same spray bar set up!! here what it looks like http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

Thanks Dan

I just rang the aquarium where i bourght my axolotl form and they said that it most likeley be stress probable form the 1 hour trip form the aquarium to my house . I hope that's all it is !!

Dan

I just had a good look at her today and it's tail look very red it's a golden albeno and i don't think it's ment to be that red.
Please help

Dan

Salt bath, the solution for everything.

Actually, it sounds like a bacterial infection. But that's all the help I can offer. Sorry. Good Luck.

i had that on my leucys, i think it was from the hot weather. its still a tin bit red but they seem fine so im not too worried unless it flares up again

no not realy,It's been kicking it's gills with its back foot trying to get something off, but i can not see any thing on the gills. The gill look a lot smaller then when i got it but the other axolotl is looking fine .I'v been useing pimafix by the same maker of melafix that was recommended by my local aquarium, It's say's that it is for use on scalelss fish and it does not affect the biological filter. Would any one no what the problem is thank, oh cynthia thanks for asking!!

Dan

What is the water temperature in your tank. It seems as if everything else is all right so this might be the cause.

The temperature is 21c today but its been since it happen from 15-18c alot of the time.

It's seem's very wird ill' try to get a photo to help mabe that will make it easiy to fine whats rong!!!!

sounds the same as my baby. that happened when he went into a tank with way to much ammonia. he kicked his gills a couple of times. i just kept him in a shallow bowl for a few days and he came right. i think the red tail could be from stress, mine do that sometimes. hope he gets well soon

Hmmm.........I don't no what could be wrong but have you tried putting your axie in the fridge.

Daniel - How is this axolotl doing? How do its gills look now?

It' still look smaller and some times i see it still kicking it's gill but i'v tried everything i don't no what to do, i rang a vet that knows stuff about axolotls on monday but he was not there but i'll try to get in touch with him this week . But i called the aquarium where i bought it from and they reckon thats its some else not a fungal!!
oh and i still don't understand the other axolotl sill looks fine and is!!

Thank for asking any way cynthia

<font color="ff6000">.im so confused </font><font color="0077aa"> in a post toward the top of this discussion, it is said that too much oxygen will cause small gills. in other posts on this site (in the sick axie thread)it is sais that too little oxygen causes small gills. which is it. or are both a cause. my little girl is getting smaller gills slowly, it is only very very slightly smaller but none the less they are smaller. i have added an air stone to the tank to see what happens. i had and air driven filter in the tank already, so i dont htink too much air is the problem. any ideas please let me know. the water temp is sitting constant on about 22C. i do about 20% water change weekly to fortnightly. i have one live plant in the tank. there is never any left over food as when i feed her i give her small chincks of frozen bloodworm that she eats in one mouthful. i give her 2 of these every second or third day. i also give her earth worms sometimes instead of bloodworms. these earth worms come from my garden, she seems to love them and gets all excited when she is getting them. </font>

Both are sort of correct. Depends on the cause of the lack of oxygen. If te lack of oxygen is due to an excess of ammonia, the gills will shrink, because the ammonia is burning the gills. If lack of oxygen is just due to insufficient water movement or aeration, then the gills will grow, to increase the available surface area to absorb oxygen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back