Question: Gills moving forward? When to be concerned?

Hoagii

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Leah
Hi all. I recently got my first axolotl about two weeks ago (please excuse my total n00bish questions!). From talking to her breeder, I believe she was about two months old when I got her. I've noticed over just the past few days that her gills have started to creep forward. I know this can indicate stress and it's starting to worry me.

The pics I took when I first brought her home show her gills almost flat back against her head. Now they stick out at ~90 degree angle, but don't curl forward. She still has a good appetite. Could this just be part of her growing up?

I tried to take some pictures, but she is so small that my crummy camera can't focus on her. Should I be concerned? I'm paranoid that my inexperience as an axie raiser will cause her untimely demise!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Not uncommon for then to stick out that way. So, probably nothing to worry about.

However, are you monitoring your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)? If they are good, and the water is cool enough, and you don't have, like, a power filter and strong current in the tank, then, nothing to worry about. (And if the parameters are off, or the water is warm, or you have a strong current in the tank, fix those things. She might still have her gills forward, but then it won't be something to worry about. :happy:)

Thank you for your reply! I just checked the water parameters and everything checks out! Guess I'm just worried for nothing. Good to know she's not stressed!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back