Question: Gills

anonymousaxolol

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello fellow enthusiasts, I have just done a water change and I turned off my filters. My axolotls gills still point forwards. Is this natural? I pretty sure he is stressed but I do not see any reason, my water is perfect and there is no water movement. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Anonymous Axolotl image.jpg

Have you tested the water?

If the filter is too strong, you could put something, like a hide, near to the flow to disperse it a bit.

If everything is all okay and you can't find a reason for him to be stressed, it might just be how his gills are. Have you got any pictures before he started pointing his gills?

Usually when they are stressed the gills are curled almost over the eyes. That looks look a normal position to me.

Have you tested the water?

If the filter is too strong, you could put something, like a hide, near to the flow to disperse it a bit.

If everything is all okay and you can't find a reason for him to be stressed, it might just be how his gills are. Have you got any pictures before he started pointing his gills?

This is how I got him, and his tail is bent at the tip as well, that picture was taken after a 30%water change and with the filter off. Would that apply to the tail as well?

Generally a stressed axolotl's tail 'curls' into a c shape, rather than actually being bent. Some axolotls do have 'curly' gills, especially if they are heavy and frondy. Your axolotl's gills look normal to me. The 'bend' in the tail might be natural - some axolotls do have 'kinks' in their tails (I believe Alkylhalide has Nike, who has a 'bendy' tail) as long as you don't see any abnormality in the spine or any signs of discomfort, I wouldn't be worried.

That said, cycled water is a definite must for happy axxies.

Thank you so much! I was very worried that I was stressing him out!

Thanks,
Anonymous Axolotl

It's gills seem to have shifted forward... Is this still a safe position? I am due for a water change soon so I will do that then reply.

image.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back