Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Giving up on worms

sammy4tbts

Reaction score
Sammy refuses to eat worms. I give up :(. The crickets are being dusted now, so that will have to suffice. Any others have picky Tigers?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard other tales of tigers that refused worms, so yours are not completely alone in their worm phobia. You can still try to vary their diet with occasional goodies from the yard, such as slugs and roly-polys.

Jake

Reaction score
Some types of worms emit an unpleasant odor, what were the worms marked as at the store, or did you collect them yourself?

I had a group of Salamandra salamandra that would relish worms when I first got them, but for whatever reason they lost interest after only a few feedings of crickets. Perhaps the fast movements of crickets are more attractive to them as a predator? It's cases like this I really wish I could read salamander minds.

Levo

Reaction score
I was reading today that in the wild salamanders will eat certain foods at certain times through the year depending on what their needs are and other aspects that they don't exactly know.

But it isn't very common for this behaviour in captivity. Just a though. :D

Abrahm

Reaction score
What is a roly poly? :eek:

They are also known as pill bugs, wood lice or isopods. They're small, terrestrial crustaceans that you can often find under logs and other moist areas. They are called roly poly because some of them can curl up into a ball. There is a picture of a bunch of them in this thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!