Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Glowing Axolotl

prettykttkat

Reaction score
I have a female leucistic axolotl. She is a couple years old. I recently bought a mini microscope for my phone for my son to look at things. This microscope has a LED light and an ultraviolet light. We shined the ultraviolet light on the Axolotl and her skeleton glowed neon green. It was only for a few minutes. We have done this twice. Today I noticed that she is still glowing green even though she is only under regular light. It's very strange. When I turn off the regular light she stops glowing. What happened to her that she now glows under regular lights? She never did before. It honestly looks like she is a glow in the dark toy that has absorbed light and glows in normal lighting. I will attach what she looked like under the ultraviolet light.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_214156745.jpg
    IMG_20200507_214156745.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25,083

prettykttkat

Reaction score
I have a female leucistic axolotl. She is a couple years old. I recently bought a mini microscope for my phone for my son to look at things. This microscope has a LED light and an ultraviolet light. We shined the ultraviolet light on the Axolotl and her skeleton glowed neon green. It was only for a few minutes. We have done this twice. Today I noticed that she is still glowing green even though she is only under regular light. It's very strange. When I turn off the regular light she stops glowing. What happened to her that she now glows under regular lights? She never did before. It honestly looks like she is a glow in the dark toy that has absorbed light and glows in normal lighting. I will attach what she looked like under the ultraviolet light.

Here she is under regular light now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_171308180.jpg
    IMG_20200514_171308180.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,390

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Your axolotl is gfp. The axolotl line it was bred from had green fluorescent protein from a jellyfish spliced in them at one time. GFP is now transferred genetically through breeding. The flourescence responds to ultraviolet light. Since daylight and daylight bulbs have ultraviolet as a component gfp axolotls also fluoresce under daylight.

prettykttkat

Reaction score
Thanks for telling me. That's very interesting. Also very cool! So do all Axolotls in the pet trade do this? Or are there some sold as pets that do not come from that lineage?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Only some axolotls in the pet trade are gfp. Their are gfp versions of most of the common color types in the pet trade. Gfp in axolotls was first developed as a research tool and found its w

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1