Glowing Ice Bottles (Turns out it's probably fractoluminescence)

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so I just had something incredibly weird happen and I am turning to you all because I have nowhere else to go.

We are in the middle of a heat wave, so despite air conditioning, fans, and a small chiller-type thing, I was awoken at 4 in the morning by the overheating alarm on my temperature controller for the axolotl tank. I have it set to go off when it reaches 70 degrees F.

I grabbed three mini water bottles from my freezer and plopped them in and the weirdest thing happened. They lit up. At first I thought I was imagining it in my sleep-addled state, but this freaked me out sufficiently to fully wake up and I'm absolutely sure of it.

Coinciding with the sound of the ice cracking inside the bottles, I saw tiny flashes of light (of varying intensity) coming from the bottles, enough that I could clearly see where the bottles were in the dark room (again, it's 4 in the morning and I didn't turn the lights on). It didn't last for long, no more than 10-15 seconds.

Initially, I thought the water must be electrified somehow, but I checked all of my equipment, and I don't think this is possible. The bottles are just normal plastic bottles that I've used tons of times before for this purpose. When they're not in the tank, they're in the freezer.

I'm completely mystified as to what the heck just happened--if it happens regularly and I only noticed it because it was dark??? I don't even know what to google and I'm just hoping that anyone can shed some light on the situation.

TLDR: apparently, my ice bottles are capable of producing light

Okay, so I managed to find some info after all and apparently this is a natural phenomenon called fractoluminescence wherein ice and other similar materials can produce light with the break. I had no idea this was a thing, lol. Apparently you can also produce this effect by cracking a tray of ice cubes in the dark

THAT IS SO COOL!! I've heard the cracking noise when we put ice bottles in our newt tank, but I've never heard of that. I have to try this now with some ice cubes in the dark.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back