Goldfish with Axolotl

Matt13

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In short this is not a question but a statement. I believe that goldfish, and Axolotl's can be kept with goldfish to some extent. I own 4 goldfish and they all live with my axolotl. None have attacked each other, or bitten each other. That may be because of my axolotl's nature, or maybe it isn't irritated by them. Now as for you, if you were to buy both you may be taking a risk because either: (A) you could end up with my situation, or (B) you end up with your axolotl attacking your goldfish or them attacking your axolotl. So really you may be taking a risk.

my pet store about five months ago had a problem with their guppy breeder and resulted into getting almost equally as small goldfish..
mine will swallow them whole cept both have kept only one alive in each tank, i dont feed the goldfish since i also feed my axies bloodworms so they will snatch a few. at this point the both goldfish have tripled in size and know to stay away from the axies..almost like they wanted entertainment in their tanks haha plus the goldfish eat what the axies miss.

Hmmmm.

When we cross the road, we can choose to wait for the little green man, or we can just step out into the road when the red man is showing and hope for the best.

Sure, there's a chance we'd cross with no incident, but there's a much greater risk of being hit by a bus if moving traffic is using the same space as us at the same time.

So the advice on co-habitation is given out to protect those axolotls that would suffer from being nibbled, and those goldfish that would get eaten, not the ones who would cross the road safely through luck.

Please bear in mind that this is an advice forum, for existing, and brand new axolotl owners. We have a responsibility to give out good, valuable advice to help axolotls live long, happy lives. Making posts that contradict both the general good advice, and themselves, don't, in my opinion, contribute to the welfare of axolotlkind.

Just my 2p's worth.

Last edited:
For me, this is a typical example of human nature... We always want more, always want to see, to check out,...
I've seen a video once of a snake who decided to keep his food (a hamster) with him as a friend. The world is full of such stories...
Look: in my opinion, if it's known that it's best not to keep a certain animal with another certain animal: then just don't... I even don't see the appeal in it.. Is a tank with just axolotls not "special/cute/lively" enough? Then why don't you just got the goldfish or visa versa. Think about the animals... Would you like it if you were a pet and someone bought you together with a tiger and said: we'll see if they get along, but they look so nice in their cage together!!
I saw a couple of videos in youtube of axolotls kept with goldfish, and I didn't think it was beautiful at all.. It gave me a very wrong feeling.

I don't think that you should seperate your goldfish and axolotls if everything is ok. But to me, the message you give to this forum is wrong: It's almost like: try it and see what happens! Might go wrong, but well you've got to take a risk sometimes.
Sorry, but that's just very stupid.

Owning pets means providing the best possible home for the animal.

One topic you didn't cover is the really significant amount of ammonia that goldfish put out. Unless you really stay on top of it the excess ammonia could throw your water parameters out of kilter and create a hazardous environment for all involved. Also goldfish tend to thrive at a higher pH which makes the ammonia issue even more threatening. Bad idea all around.

What an interesting experiment you have there...

Last edited:
I think it's a bad idea all around to try and keep goldfish with axes, you may not have any problems now, but you will later down the track.

You must remember that axies are not fish and you must treat them accordingly.

In short this is not a question but a statement....
.... So really you may be taking a risk.

I'm a bit confused - I'm not going to slate you for giving your opinion, as I believe a forum should be to express opinions (however, all the comments after, I also believe are necessary, to show people just how high the risks are).
What I am confused about is your statement - it's starts off being VERY pro axies + goldfish being kept together, but by the end it's very anti axies + goldfish being kept together, saying that really it's a risk. Almost as if you wanted to just stir the s*** a little + see who you could wind up? Or, deep down, you know it's not an accceptible risk + reverse your opinion 1/2way through your statement! LoL!

Almost as if you wanted to just stir the s*** a little + see who you could wind up? Or, deep down, you know it's not an accceptible risk + reverse your opinion 1/2way through your statement! LoL!

I wondered this and I was also confused especially with saying "to some extent" and also in visiting the posters profile and finding his first thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ck-axolotl/73319-broken-twisted-leg-help.html where he says that "sadly" the axolotl is kept with goldfish and that he didn't know it was wrong at first.

Maybe he'll clear up the confusion when he is back. =]

Could you please bare in mind that the poster is not an adult .

I believe that my axie hurt its leg when i was changing my gravel to sand, I'm pretty sure my goldfish don't attack, because when I feed them, the food lands on the axie, but they don't go after him but instead choose to go for the food on the floor. Just stating some facts. And if you want to try i suggest getting a feeder gold fish as they are cheap, and big enough so that your axie doesn't eat it.

btw I had my goldfish before my axie, just keep that in mind. also I didn't know a whole lot about axie's, but when I came here |I learned a great deal of info.

And if you want to try i suggest getting a feeder gold fish as they are cheap, and big enough so that your axie doesn't eat it.
Not only is it not a good idea to put fish in with axolotls but in some country's (like the UK) it is illigal to buy feeder fish.

Just because both survive dosn't mean they thrive.
Sam

Last edited:
Using goldfish as feeders is not recommended because of their high levels of saturated fat and vitamin A.

Using goldfish as feeders is not recommended because of their high levels of saturated fat and vitamin A.

And because the nasty little things can carry all sorts of diseases. Feeder level fish are bred for quantity, not quality.

I think it can always be said that things work out well until something happens...:rolleyes:

"Well, my dog never chased my cat before...My cat never tried to eat my bird before..."
"My axie never ate gravel before..." ...and the list can go on and on...

I'd never try to put goldfish in with my axies. first I have pet goldfish and it would upset me to see goldfish been eaten, and second I wouldn't want the goldfish to hurt my axies.

Thirdly, there is the crazy amount of ammonia goldfish give out, the tank would fill with ammonia so quickly without the double filtration needed for goldfish, and the axie couldn't handle that much filtration. So it would be either have very high amounts of ammonia in the tank, do very frequent water changes or have double filtration with so much movement the axies couldn't handle it.

So their enviroments just aren't suited to each other. It might work for a while but I do think in the long run you are going to have problems.So even though it's working at the moment, I really would invest in another tank for the goldfish.

I agree about the goldfish...When I decided to buy Bertie, he was being chased around by the large goldfish in the pond he was in (Just to clarify, the only reason they were in together was for sale at the market, and that my guy keeps his axies back home in their own pool (apart from invading yabbies who end up shish-kebabed as revenge), and for that reason I'll never put a goldfish in my big tanks.
On the other hand, I've had tremendous success with guppies and cherry shrimp. Only one large guppy eaten (And she was old and ready to head for the pond in the sky anyway), and most of the babies have been eaten. I've found that the guppies provide a great cleaning crew when it comes to food, and that the RCS deal well with everything else.

I'd never try to put goldfish in with my axies. first I have pet goldfish and it would upset me to see goldfish been eaten, and second I wouldn't want the goldfish to hurt my axies.

Owning both Goldfish and an axie I seriously thought about adding the goldfish to the axie tank so I could use the goldfish for a tropical set up. Ultimately this is why I didn't. The filtration didn't worry me in a 3f tank and spray bar I could reduce the output of a strong filter, nor do I subscribe to Goldfish are carriers of the plague (unless they have just been purchased). I then realised my 'coldwater' tank had been at 24-25oC for years anyway with the Australian heat so I'll just have a tropical tank with goldfish.

What did worry me is goldfish, like small children, have a mentality of if I can see it then in the mouth it goes. Whilst my fat laxy axie Im sure wouldnt even bother to attack them if they were right next to its head, I'm sure the goldfish would try to suck of legs, gills etc under the 'OMG I thought it was food'.

Im not saying Goldfish aren't intelligent and they might learn but the learning period may take longer than anticipated, and instil a fear in both my axie and my happy goldfish who are fearless it seems (cats paws are to be nibbled on apparently) even if they aren't physically hurt, I wouldn't want timid animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back