Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good, but odd

oregon newt

Reaction score
So today I switched my tank from gravel to bare bottom. I expected that the tank would go through a mini cycle because I removed the gravel and removed probably 2/3 of the tanks water, but the ammonia and nitrites appear to be 0 and the nitrate reading is between 10-20. I do have Alot of algae on some of the objects in the tank. Could that have made up for the bacteria I lost removing the gravel and water? There still is some waste on the bottom, but I'm planning on removing it tommorrow. It just seems like there is something not right here.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
The way I see it, everything seems fine. Because your tank was well setup, you still have a the right bacteria to keep things under control. But, now that you removed the gravel and some of the water you don't have as much of it. Now you will have to check the water more often for "spikes" but things should be pretty good, just be careful.

Mitch

Nathan050793

Reaction score
The healthy bacteria live on every surface in the tank, including ornaments, plants, glass, etc. Just taking out the gravel and doing a water change won't usually cause the tank to begin a new cycle.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
When you have newt waste, uneaten food and decaying plant matter introduced into your setup, it is controlled. But because you will be removing some of this "helpful" bacteria, it MIGHT raise more than before. So it will be more of a increased raise in ammonia/nitrite levels than a "spike". I just said spike because it can happen very quick depending on the variables above. Just test it more until you know everything is under control.

Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1