Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good sand brands for newts?

Nioa

Reaction score
I ordered a 50lb bag of hth brand pool filter sand, but upon inspection it looks as if the "sand" grains are quite big. In fact, it's almost like gravel. So I suppose I'll have to return it. Does anyone know of good sand brands for newts?

Nioa

Reaction score
I stopped trying to be clever and just went with a pet store brand. I got Caribsea Super Naturals sand. It looks incredibly fine and I have no doubt it's safe for newts. :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you're sorted, but for anyone else wondering, I've used kiddies play pit sand for many years now and had no problems. It's cheap, clean, the grains are quite fine and plants seem to grow well in it.

Nioa

Reaction score
Glad you're sorted, but for anyone else wondering, I've used kiddies play pit sand for many years now and had no problems. It's cheap, clean, the grains are quite fine and plants seem to grow well in it.

I wonder where you guys have been finding that stuff. I've seen play sand and pool filter sand suggested a lot for cheap substrates, but the the times I've bought either they had a lot of gravel bits in them. Guess it's a good idea to see it in person before buying it.

Raiders804

Reaction score
Pool filter sand from home depot been using it over 3 years not one problem. Just make sure you rinse it well water still will be a little cloudy but it will settle. Sand is in a blue & white bag

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!