Got Quite a Deal!

Jenste

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband Steve ran to our local pet store, a Pet Supply plus, to pick up cat food and litter yesterday, and he came back saying that they had a Fluval 405 on clearance for $140. He hadn't bought it because he wasn't sure how good of a deal that was.

I told him it was about $100-120 below normal price, so yes! a good deal. I ran out to buy it (I had been wanting to grab another large filter to seed incase I upgrade my tank).

I was chatting with the sales girl and she told me I was about to be *really* happy. The chain had an additional sale on the filter, so I got ANOTHER $100 off. With tax is came to $49 and change, she told me if I spend $50, I would get another $10 off.
I ran and grabbed a couple items I had forgot I wanted, a larger package of BioBalls, also on clearance and a new cat brush. Grand total was $55!!!

I was floored, I ran home and told my husband - he didn't believe me until I showed him my receipt!

I use the BioBalls inside one or two Fluval compartments (the 405 has 5 - one large down the side sponge and 4 stackable compartments) and will be setting it up on my current 72 gallon 4footer which has a 405 and U3 on it now. I will be moving the U3 to another tank (was seeding it) and putting the second 405 on the 72 gallon. Over filtration is my happy place, I like to stock a little heavy.

The 72 houses 7 Axolotls and a Fantail Goldfish, will have 2xFluval 405 and moderately planted with swords, wisteria, 2 mossballs, and a few water hyacinths with are massive ammonia eaters. Call me happy

Good score! Call me jealous!

I have been trying to convince my husband to let me upgrade to a 6 footer.....a big expense for it was going to be filtration. Now that is not a problem! :p

Just do what I do; move the tank in and pretend it's always been there!

Nice find! I love it when things work out that way! I managed to get a slightly used U3 from my boss who had been running it in our aquatic frog tank (I work at a LPS) and he sold it to me for 25$... since it retails here for over 80$ I was quite happy about that. LOL It works perfectly for my new 33 long. Congrats. I agree that you should just get the 6ft tank and pretend you have no idea how it got there... :wink:

Haha as tempting as that is - I *think* he would notice a 6 foot tank in the living room! We are also trying for our first so we will see how that goes - maybe I can get it down the road.

If things go well, say it´s a fancy new baby bathing kit, critical for the correct development of the inmune system or some other bollocks. Then put a little blush on your baby´s thigh and say it gave him/her a rush and can´t be used again...for that purpose that is ;)

PS: This plan may work best if your husband has had a few, although severe baby induced insomnia may do the trick too.

So jealous of you! I'm trying to convince my housemates to allow a 6 foot tank ( and hoping the huge sale coming up at the LFS will help) but even so there's nothing around here that cheap, the filtration costs more than the tanks because I get the tanks cheap from craigslist.:happy:

Azhael that is too funny! Wouldn't work as my hubby doesn't drink alcohol.

Cymri - I was ecstatic!!! I don't really *need* it right now, but I wanted it and I *could* end up needing it and at that price it was better to buy it now then wait and pay 5-6x as much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back