Granulosa and Rivularis

J

jeff

I'm about to put the finishing touches on a 55 gallon terrarium- 1/2 land & 1/2 water with a running stream running from land and into water (Pictures of this terrarium will be posted shortly). I currently have 10 granulosa which will be transferred into this tank ASAP. I will also be obtaining two pairs of rivularis within the next few weeks. I know I may take some heat for this, but I'd like to keep both species in this set-up. I know ideally I should keep both in separate set-ups, but I don't exactly have the most room in the world, and keeping both in the same tank would be ideal for me in my current situation. I know they both inhabit some of the same regions in the wild, and that they've also been known to hybridize where their regions overlap. Keeping them together may not be a good idea, but is it necessarily a bad one? Thoughts/advice from experienced Taricha keepers would be much appreciated. Please, be gentle.

rivularis are a shy and delicate compared to granulosa -if kept together i am sure they would be bullied; into hiding, and out of food by the more assertive and active granulosas. rivularis do best for me in a more aquatic environment -they eat poorly on land and are picky on food and scared of crickets-so i keep mine mostly aquatic and will kick them into the water when feeding-time comes. the best items they like are blood worms and cut worm chunks. on the pure density level - 10 would be high for a 50/50 set up, so the additional 4 would be an overload. i had a hybrid of them years ago-it was a red belly with gold eyes.

Thanks for the input, Paris. Having not kept rivularis before I was unaware that they weren't as bold as granulosa. I've decided to go seperate tanks with them, especially since I caught my granulosas doing this last night:
31141.jpg

31142.jpg

NO NEED FOR HYBRIDS!

I'm most interested in pictures of your tank for these Oregon newts. I'm current making a 20L tank for my Oregon newts; however I have a 55 gallon with Warty newts in it currently. I would like to see your tank for ideas if you would specially for the stream. I'm at albear28@yahoo.com. Thanks and it's cool to find another with a love for newts like myself. Later.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back