Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Great new book on salamanders and newts of the world (Raffaëlli )

joonas

Reaction score
I got a copy of the book to read today, and seems like it really is worth of every praise it has received here. As a correction to my earlier guess I must point out that there are 377 pages in total.

Now I'm hoping and waiting for an English translation so I would be able to really understand all that information the book keeps inside.

Last edited:

jean

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
New book on salamanders

I plan to translate it for a 2nd edition, but not in the near future. Let's say in 2 years.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Jean, if you wish to formally advertise the book in the forum (i.e. create a thread with purchasing details, etc), please do so. I am only noticing this thread today, several months after it was created, and I am sure that many more people have yet to notice it. I too would like to order a copy ;).

caudataman

Reaction score
Count me in for an English copy if/when it comes out. I would think that an english language version would provide a broader market than any other language, but perhaps that's just my isolated American perspective showing through. Good work to Jean for having published what appears to be an excellent book regardless of language. Might I suggest a small run of autographed copies with a small surcharge to benefit this site? I would be willing to buy the French text version under such circumstances and suffer a translator program...

Brian

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's good to put Jean on the spot like that. Let's try to help him sell his book and give what encouragement and help we can to him to accomplish an English translation at some point in the future. If any help is needed in the translation I'm sure there are many French and English speakers around on the site.

caudataman

Reaction score
Sorry John and Jean, I didn't mean to put anyone on the spot, just a mutual promotion idea that came to me. I will probably buy the book anyway, and Jean, I may pm you to see if you'd be kind enough to sign it, but I'd have been willing to pay a bit more to help the site and get an "official caudata.org signed edition" rather than an off the shelf piece. A few others here might be willing as well. I wasn't asking Jean to reduce his cover price, just an opportunity to get a signed copy and maybe help the site as well. I had Marc Stanisziewski sign his book when he came to IAD and like to get signed copies of music and books when they're available. Since people come here looking for information and references, it seems to me to be a natural fit. Might be something to think about with a number of authors, Bartlett, Petranka, Indiviglio and others...just an idea...

-B-

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Dick Bartlett uses the site (he was definitely here earlier in May). So you could pm him ;). I wonder how we'd contact James Petranka and Frank Indiviglio? Regarding Petranka, isn't his book out of print now? Also, some academics take issue with people who are interested in amphibians as captives, so we should send Jen to ask! She's so sweet ;).

PS: Regarding Mr Staniszewski, when did that signing occur? Is he back on the kosher list now?

Addendum late 2007: I corresponded briefly with Frank Indiviglio in late 2007, so he is contactable.

Last edited:

caudataman

Reaction score
Marc's signing was at "THAT" IAD. As to kosher or not, I'm not observant, but I haven't heard from him since then. I'd seen him post here and there a bit after, but don't know what he's up to now...

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
His web site has been dead for years, the coffin just hasn't been nailed shut. In the years since I learned about what went on, I've realised a lot of people get up to such questionable activities (collecting from the wild, particularly protected species, for export illegally and then sale). I've recently found that this sort of activity has given newt and salamander enthusiasts a bad reputation when it comes to dealing with scientists (who often know where things are!) because they think you're on a commercial/illegal/dodgy collection trip.

jean

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Book Les Urodèles du Monde

Dear all
Thank you very much for your interest. As I am the own publisher, I really need to sell it in French first, then I will make a 2nd edition in English with updated informations. At the moment, you can buy it in US directly to Breck Bartholomew (Bibliomania, in Salt Lake City). I can send them dedicaced to you through an order to jean.raffaelli@laposte.net, but shipping will somehow be more expensive from France, and transfer banking a little bit more difficult. Once more, many thanks to everybody. It was a huge work, I have tried my best to update informations available for every species, even for each tropical bolitoglossine one.

jean

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Book 2

Dear John, Brian, Ryan
I love the site. What I can do is sending 10 more copies to Breck Bartholomew especially dedicaced to Caudata.org. Then Breck might send the copies to people interested, once each of you would have contacted him. You would have to pay Breck directly. Just let me know who would be interested so I can contact Breck. Sorry, I know the book is expensive (65 euros), but I had to pay everything on my own. Sorry for French language, it was really too difficult for me to go on 377 pages in a foreign language, but many informations can be understood with the help of dictionnary.
All the best to everybody
Jean

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Jean, how many photos are there of each species? Seeing that I couldn't read it I might get it if it had a lot of pictures (especially Necturus of course).

jean

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Well, Ryan, I am not sure there are enough photos for Necturus. I had problems with the real beyeri and lewisi. Overall, there are 515 photos, not all big enough, but that gives an idea for each group.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know it had so many photos! Now I really want to get it if/when it comes out in english, good luck with the French sales.

I know what you mean about the "real" beyeri, but not quite lewisi, what types of "trouble" did you have? Identifaction? Where the specimen was captured?

jean

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
I didn't find any lewisi. I have a false alabamensis one, which I think is "lodingi".
Best Jean

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Yeah, probably is "lodingi", to bad you couldn't find a lewisi because they are (in my opinion one of the best Necturus out there), I've also heard that they've been bred in captivity.

olaf

Reaction score
Hi,
today I got my copy of the book - and yes, it is a reason to learn french! (I am glad that I have learned french at school, so I can read it). Indeed a salamander bible.
Olaf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!