Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Great Stuff for Tank Divider?

aramcheck

Reaction score
Well, I got my silicone today (gray)...I was all set to start, and then I saw, the Great Stuff had shrunk so much it made a gap at the edge of the tank. Here's pics. I'll do my old standby, I'll get a piece of glass cut to fit and glue it in. So much for my big experiment! I guess they can't all go right.

I have combined both in my sal's tank by making a glass divider, and using expending foam over it for landscaping, then black silicone and coco fiber for a finish, this was a bit over 2 years ago and so far it did well...

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Has anyone else ever tried using Handi-foam? I tried it several years ago in a Dart set up and if worked great! I did not notice any shrinking or cracking and its non-toxic. I know a lot of my frog friends use it for back drops, but I used it to build several items and a divider like the one in question.
Good luck!

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Once fully cured it's nontoxic. I've never seen Handifoam... but Great Stuff can be tricky. There are two types... window and door and gap filling. You can use both depending on what you are trying to accomplish...but you MUST be careful if you use the gap filling as it expands in all directions quite a bit. I used to use it because it made better/faster landmasses and back walls... but I messed up one time and got impatient making a back ground. Got the Great Stuff too near the corners of the tank and popped the seams (also cracked one of the class panes). It expands in ALL directions... even if it has plenty of space to go outward... it will still expand side to side enough to pop the tank.
Patience and the Window and door stuff is the way to go. :happy:

Last edited:

JWERNER

Reaction score
I'm making a shore line and a creek with Great Stuff. You've got to just make it first and then cut it to the desired shape afterwards or yeah, it's going to shrink.

I'll post pics in the morning. I ran out of Drylock so it's on hold.

FYI, don't we have a thread on what silicone is safe to use?

The best Great Stuffs to use is the black can. It expands the most which means more for the money and more area to carve and add charecter. There is also the Handi Foam for ponds which is black but it's the same exact thing basically and way more money.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWERNER

Reaction score
It would be super cool if I could edit.

Here is a few pics. Its crude but as I said I ran out of Drylock.

You should be able to get a general idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1