Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Great Sunday

blckkeys

Reaction score
So I went herping yesterday with two friends of mine and had a pretty darn good day!!!
The weather was wonderful, cool in the morning and warming up in the afternoon. Morning temps in the high 50s F and afternoon temps in the mid 70s F. The skies where clear, the birds were singing, and we were herping.

We were in an non-glaciated part of Ohio. The first spot we came across was a small lake/pond that was teaming with eastern newts.

The newts were feeding on some tadpoles. I have never seen adult eastern newts in the wild, so I was fairly ecstatic. Once my eye was trained to find them, they kept popping up everywhere.
059.jpg 070.jpg 074.jpg

Not to far from this spot we searched for some spring salamanders. At first we kept coming some dusky salamanders, two lined, and long tailed. But finally after searching (even though i say finally, it was only about 15 minutes) we came across a spring salamander larvae. This was exciting for me again, as this was my first time seeing this species as well.

115.jpg 088.jpg

After a bit more searching we finally came across my first adult spring salamander. There were a number of rocks that we lifted that seemed perfect for springs, but we kept finding larvae or duskies. This rock, like the other rocks looked perfect, half in the water half out of the water, somewhat of a large flat smooth. This rock however was home to the adult. After finding the adult we decided to head over to the next spot to find some more springs.

This next spot was a treat, as not only did we find springs, but we also found a red salamander and a mud salamander. Again, the later I have not seen in the wild. (There are a number of herps I have not seen in the wild, as I really go into this a few years ago.) There are a number of other non-caudata critters we came across as well, like some fence lizards, water snakes, queen snakes, and worm snakes. (And wasps!!! be carefully looking under rocks!!! No stings...this time).

125.jpg 148.jpg 179.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a nice haul for the day! You guys are lucky; up here, the caudate species are pretty limited, but if you travel just south of here, the number of species skyrockets!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Lovely finds and great poses. Thank you for sharing.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Do you mind me asking where you got that avatar?

-John

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Very nice. That Mud Salamander is a GREAT find in Ohio. Consider yourself lucky as most Ohio herpers see 1000's of newts over a span of years before getting their first Mud. Check your PM.

Andy

blckkeys

Reaction score
I do not have a picture of the habitat. But pond the newts were found in was man made. It is a pond that was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the 1930's. We literally saw so many newts that you couldn't keep track of.

awesome post Pat, do you by any chance have a picture of the Newt habbitat?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1