Green Algae type stuff growing in tank

Zandy94

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zandy
Hello

So in my tank I have that weird thin film of algae growing on my glass. I know it's harmless, but it keeps coming back rapidly and worse and worse each time i scrub it off. The tank is opposite window, but I have no where else to put it. How can I get it to stop growing, is there any treatments I can use that are Axi safe?

I doubt that there is any treatment that actually removes algae. I would do more frequent water changes and perhaps add some moss balls or other low light plants to compete with the algae. Some black out shades for the window would definitely help.

Most algae treatments are likely to crash your tank's cycle. I am not certain about whether any of them are axi safe though. I would generally steer clear of them anyway given that they are likely to mess up the cycle. High nitrate will sometimes increase algae growth. Also light will also encourage algae growth. Maybe cover the window and add some more plants as Astolotl suggested? Do you have lighting on the tank itself?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back