Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from Houston

MermaidMommy

Reaction score
I’m fairly new to the forum but I have loved it. Im a mom of three boys (mean really) 21, 18 and 13. I’ve been married for 20 years and I am almost 40! We have always rescued, rehabbed and rehomed animals but never “officially”. We are now trying to make it a for profit because it had gotten very expensive over the years, lol. We currently have a few ball pythons, a scorpion, a baby snapping turtle, fish (different varieties) and 8 Axolotls. Oh and Spencer my sons Mini Schnauzer who is not so mini. The only ones that are not permanent for us are two of the pythons and the scorpion. My youngest has never been into it but says he appreciates how passionate we are about our animals and has finally admitted he wants one of his own. A frog or toad. My 18 year old says he also wants a beardie to add to his personal collection, lol. Thanks for the great advice so far.

AmphibiGirl

Reaction score
Welcome ✊🏽, I'm new to the group as well. I think its pretty cool that your rehabilitating animals. I wish I was able to do that, but its super complicated being in New York City. But I definitely look forward to seeing more of your posts 🖤.

MermaidMommy

Reaction score
Welcome from Calgary, AB
Welcome ✊🏽, I'm new to the group as well. I think its pretty cool that your rehabilitating animals. I wish I was able to do that, but its super complicated being in New York City. But I definitely look forward to seeing more of your posts 🖤.
Thanks so much. It is crazy hectic and I keep a full time job so that’s not easy but out whole family pitches in.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Your story is very much like my girls and I.

We take in any species with no legs to 4 legs, vet, rehab and rehome with proper habitats and care guides.
my 15 yr old is helpful but my 13 yr old is special needs so is out cheering squad.

I work in my home doing pet grooming and boarding and care for the 200 ish axolotls, spanish ribbed newts and other species

Thanks so much. It is crazy hectic and I keep a full time job so that’s not easy but out whole family pitches in.

MermaidMommy

Reaction score
Your story is very much like my girls and I.

We take in any species with no legs to 4 legs, vet, rehab and rehome with proper habitats and care guides.
my 15 yr old is helpful but my 13 yr old is special needs so is out cheering squad.

I work in my home doing pet grooming and boarding and care for the 200 ish axolotls, spanish ribbed newts and other species
I LOVE that. I have noticed you on the forum and actually recommended you for advice to. New member “Lionfish”.
we haven’t provided enclosures yet but definitely ask for proof from others that they have what they need. I got 5 of our Axolotls from a member here in Dallas. She is amazing!!! So far I just love it here. Thanks so much for all the help you give people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1