Greetings.

Kanders

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I'm Kanders. I've always been interested in Salamanders of all types and I found this great site with tons of information on them.
If you (the reader) don't mind, could you direct me to any links regarding setting up a tank?
If there already are such information here could you tell me where to look?
Thank you.
:D

I'm not exactly sure what I should get regarding what type of Salamander.
I really like the Axies but can I put them with fish?
I have a 20 gallon-long tank and I'm not sure what to put in it.
I'm thinking of getting another type of salamander so I can turn it into a Vivarium.

Welcome to the Newt and Salamander Portal!
If your not sure if you'd want an aquarium or vivarium, you could easilly make a paludarium(half/half)!

Thank! Are there any sites I could go to for samples and info on how to create your own? Also can a Axie live with fish or would they try to kill each other?

Have a read through this section and see if thats what your looking for. Axolotls are best kept in a single species tank. There are only a few species of fish that will survive the conditions axolotls prefer and even then I wouldn't recomend them unless your comfortable with them becoming axie snacks.

Thanks everyone!
From what I understand Axies are its own species of salamander correct?
I read a few articles about them and then about other types of salamanders, it confused me a bit.
Do all salamanders start the way Axies do?

Not all Salamander start out like axies-in some subspecies of the European Fire Salamander(Salamandra salamandra sp.), the mother gives live-birth to fully metamorphased babies. I would think a few other salamanders give live birth as well.

Ahh I see, well thanks again for your help.
I may reconsider going with Axolotls from seeing how cool some of the members tiger(and other) salamanders tanks are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back