Greetings!

GreatCrow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, brand new hobbyist here! Was going to get things started with an axolotl. Have always found them interesting. I've done a bit of research, but would like to do a little more before I go through with it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to have fun with you guys!

Welcome! This website is obviously a great resource. Even if you simply Google something, a lot of times the top results are threads from this site anyway. You can search questions and keywords, or, if you can't find something, don't hesitate to post a question! People like Chris will usually answer within a few hours. haha. There's a lot to know about axolotls (and any caudate), so read up on them as much as you can. Once you've got it all figured out, and once you get a tank set up properly--fully cycled with nitrifying bacteria, low enough temperature, good water parameters, then you're good to go and it's all relatively straightforward. Axolotls are easy once you get everything set up properly, but getting it all set up is probably the hardest part. It can be expensive and time-consuming at first, but they're really fun pets, so I think it's worth it! They're also addicting. haha. I started out with 2, and now I have 4 (and am sort of considering a 5th). Anyway, welcome, ask questions, seek answers, and good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back