Growing up spotted salamander.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are my newly hatched Spotted salamander eggs!
I have been feeding them mushed pellets, and they seem happy. I can still see their guts, their little hearts are so cute!
They also have their front legs in, even though they are baisically useless. I just thought I would show you all them, I hope you appreciate them like I do! There will be more pictures to come!:D

Attachments

• 100_3167.jpg
    100_3167.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_3168.jpg
    100_3168.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 399
  • 100_3230.jpg
    100_3230.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 336
Hey I'm raising eggs and larvae right now too and I just wanted to let you know that mushed pellets are not an adequate meal for any type of salamander larvae, because they will not eat anything dead or nonmoving!

The good news is if they still have their little yellowish sacks then you might still have some time to find the right food for them. If you do a simple search on this site you can find alternative food options.

Try this: go to a pond, lake, river, or whatever you have in your local area and take water samples, then add the lake water to the containers you are keeping the larvae in. Scoop the goop at the bottom of the body of water too, and that should ensure that you have a good amount of food for them. They eat the small water bugs and other things living in the lake water. Cool huh?:happy:
*One thing to watch out for is other carnivorous larvae or bugs that could eat your baby sallys!

Good luck and hope this helps!

Alyssa

Yes pellt mash is no good for salamander larvae. Pond water is the method I favor.
Mine are eating well and getting big quick.

Hey Alyssa, I know about the pond technique. I know what can eat them, and what they can eat. I have tried that and get nothing. all I see and can catch are either Dragon fly larvae, tadpoles and small fish. Yes they do eat it to, so do not tell me what i can and cannot feed them. Well I can never find any daphina or anything. and no petstores have anything other than pellets.

I think you are a little confused. The key in getting larvae food from pond water is just getting samples of the water itself. Much of the food is microscopic.

Pellets are an unnatural, nonmoving, and manmade food for these animals, so I was just trying to educate you with the more popular choice, thats all. Some people don't even use the pellets for adult salamanders, I certainly don't.

This is entirely your choice, of course, and you do whatever you think is best for your larvae! :cool:

These links are lots of help. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Caudata Culture Articles - Microfoods

Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Newts and Salamanders from Eggs

Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

Much of the food is microscopic.

Pellets are an unnatural, nonmoving, and manmade food for these animals

i doubt that orange juice will listen, this was all pointed out to him previously and has been stated multiple times, maybe im a little biased against orangey but he really doesn't listen to good advice.

Orange juice will do as he pleases regardless to what you say. He will find out the hard way, sadly. So what species of sal larvae are you raising Alyssa and Deliriah?

Orange Juice; I hate to see you, again, snapping at people who are only trying to help you. At the risk of sounding rude, I think you need to think before you speak, or in this case, type. I've noticed in your posts many have tried again and again to offer sound advice that they've already tried to give you.
A.J. I am raising A. maculatum that are about two weeks out of their eggs. They were givin to me as eggs, and most of them hatched without a problem. And luckily so far I've lost only four of the larvae. I am also proud to say my N. viridescens are laying eggs and I currently have four in a seperate container so that the adults wont eat them.

Right now I have N. v. dorsalis eggs hatching as we speak! I'm keeping them in individual containers. Only 10 more to go!

Thanks for asking, and best of luck to the other members with larvae this year!

I say the there should be a subject link for people with larvae and/or eggs. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Alyssa, I agree. And congratulations on your hatching. I'm very excited about my own N.v.v. eggs and the successful breeding though I really wasn't trying wholeheartedly yet.:p
Best of luck to you also.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back