gruesome holloween axolotl story

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
Today I was asked for some axolotls from a small zoo that purchased some from me about a half year ago. I was told they had a mother coati mundi in the room with the axolotls. The coati mundi got loose and now they need more axolotls. I asked what happened to the axolotls and was told the coati mundi ate all of them.

I think I should add this to the Species Mixing Disasters page!:eek:

I think I should add this to the Species Mixing Disasters page!:eek:

Good idea - "Do not mix amphibian-eating mamals with amphibians!"

I don't know what to say - was the request for new axolotls just naive or barefaced? I think I would advice the guy from the zoo to look for some other livefood-supplier if he/she doesn't take any precautions.

The keeper had been thrilled with the axolotls. She felt bad about the accident. The Coati Mundi was brought into the room with the axolotls for a temporary set up. The coatimundi escaped it's pen and ate the axolotls. I'm sure better precautions will be taken next time.
I hesitate to say wether I see some humor in it.
Michael

That is a sad tale there michael. I would imagine that there would not be any humor in it for you. Personally, if i had raised the axolotls myself and given them to an organization that hopes to educate and promote the attributes of the axolotls, I would either make or observe the precautions that are taken this time around myself. Stories like that really infurate me because preventative measures could have been taken in the first place... you know... not mixing the two in the first place! Good luck to your future endeavor.

Seems to me it was a lapse in judgement but one without malicious intent especially if the zookeepers remorse was genuine. I would replace the axies for her with assurances that the mixing of predator and prey species will not be repeated.

Mistakes do happen , I am sure that the Coati Mundi was not intended to break free from its housing..maybe the site of such delicious morsels was enough to entice it to freedom of sorts. I am sure this was a learning experience for the keepers and they will be thinking slightly more carefully on the housing of their charges.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back