Question: Guppies: Breeding + Food for Axolotls

GuyDeePie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping I could have a kind of natural ecosystem with the axy's and a group of guppies. I thought it would keep the axy's physically and mentally active if they were hunting. But the guppy breeding rate was too low, the fry are not much of a meal and adults are too fast. I have 3 axys in the tank and they never managed to catch an adult guppy. I had 2 big fry and one of those did get chomped. I still have the other big fry and one adult guppy in the tank they have survived for 3 months. I just sold the rest of the guppies in the end as the tank felt too crowded and I was worried about the water quality as the fish seem to poo non stop!

crodrigeuz6497

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axies love guppys and minnows. I can't leave some in there more than an hour without them disappearing.

miniwaterdragon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feed my axolotl guppies but i still find that my guppies reproduce faster than my axolotls can eat them. But then again i do give them easy meals of earthworms.

Dominick

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I introduced a few guppies in my tank as a treat for my axolotl. However I think the adult ones are too fast. I removed a lot of guppy fry recently, because I noticed they really harassed my axolotl... I even think they ate his gills.
So this experiment is over... They all need to go.

TriLamb13

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just started a guppy tank however am considering just ordering them and then keeping them isolated for a few weeks to make sure there are no illnesses. If anyone is in Maryland and is interested in going in on a bulk order (500) guppies let me know and we can get some from Eastern.

Biev

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I realize these fish are not available everywhere, but I have found that golden skiffia (skiffia francesae) make better axolotl partners than guppies. For one thing, skiffia enjoy the same kind of water conditions: slow moving, neutral pH, on the hard side, and no warmer than 24°C. They can live quite happily at 18°C, whereas guppies would most likely get sick at this temperature.

Skiffia are livebearers, just like guppies, and they don't nip. The males may challenge each other by darting towards one another, but they don't bother other species. They are dull-looking compared to the guppies, but they school, which is really cool to watch. Mine don't seem stressed at all. Here is a photo from my instagram:

If you want to see more, look up @watercritters and if you have questions about skiffia, feel free to contact me : )

sonnysnanna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new here,and just finding my way around so I apologise if I have posted in the wrong place

Justjay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Guppies and Monsters

What a wonderful first thread to see posted

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    Hi Nerdybirds - open a thread, that usually gets more views and also allows you to post pictures and give more background information: water parameters, age, etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    My axolotl can you all take a look at that thread, I am freaked out about my axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    His gills seem kinda small, I don't think that's normal but I'm not a huge expert on axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Yeah his gills is kinda small and it can be caused by nitrate level, I am taking care of it atm, I am worried about his weight, is he only overfed or are there any kinds of problems there ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Well, again, I'm no expert. But I did just read axolotls are supposed to have a body about as wide as their head. The gills I'd say are the biggest problem, which could reduce oxygen intake, which could make a whole mess of problems.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Thanks for the help then, I will deal with his gills in no time
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    Any one have advice on feeding a tubbed axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    mine hasent eaten in weeks and im not sure what to do
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hello, I am a new owner of a 3 month old axolotl, and although I have done a lot of research on axolotls, I can barely find any for babies. If anyone can help me with these questions, I would be super happy. How many hours do baby axolotls tend to sleep per day? How many times should I feed it and what would be considered too much (it's current diet is freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms, and I currently feed it around 3 bloodworms since they are not that big)? How many times a week should I change the water and how? I have a good filter and use Prime as my conditioner to remove the chlorine and other chemicals, but I still need to figure out how to deal with ammonia and such in the water. How do I clean it's waste (should I use a dropper to easily pick it up)? I need a better cooling system because currently I use ice packs on the side of the tank and I make sure to angle my ac so that it hits the tank.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    I also leave the lid open during the day so that evaporation can cool down my tank. I want to buy a fan, but since winter is coming I won't have to buy one yet. Lastly, what water testers are effective and affordable for a broke student like myself? Please, if anyone has any advice I will love to hear it. I care for this creature too much at this point, but I have no one to help me with caring for it other than the internet :,)
    +1
    Unlike
  • EmilyP:
    Hi LauraLobster I am a new owner of axolotls myself and have been getting advice from things like this, I feed mine twice a day on blackworms and brine shrimp blood worms are more of a treat food, a question on where you are keeping you axolotl are you keeping it in the main tank or in a tub also if in the tank did you cycle it first? and if not i suggest tubing it until the tank it cycled, mine are still tubed since I was given bad advice by the shop people about cycling my tank and am still in the process of cycling it. I use pipettes to clean up the mess of my axolotls. I use the API mater test kit for freshwater tanks I am also a student and had to look around to find it the cheapest I could.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi LauraLobster, like you I got my first ever Axolotl back in July. Iv found that he has enjoyed and eaten red wigglers well. They are a good source of protein and help provide the nutrients a young lotl needs to grow up big and strong. You will probably need to break it up into smaller pieces until they get bigger but they are what I have primarily fed my buddy since I got him. He’s actually so picky that he won’t even eat his pellets anymore and will hold out till he gets his favorite wormy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat nea
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat newt inflamtion I've got one and recently it's started to develop an inflammation on its throat can someone please tell me how you treat this I've also checked if he had something stuck but I didn't se anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • Cjbond:
    Anyone have any Notophthalmus viridescens for purchase to a loving home?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Grantsky:
    Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this as I am new to the site, b
    +1
    Unlike
  • ltoloxa-:
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good fan/cooler in UK?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nycolebayne:
    I’ve got proven female axolotls available if anyone is interested.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if shale is ok for long-toed salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :) +1