Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

H.dunni arrived today :D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I am now the proud keeper and humble worshiper of a group of 5 Hynobius dunni.
I´ve been fascinated by hynobiids and their reproductive strategy since i first heard of it, and i´m just thrilled i might get to witness it in the future.
They are much more plethodontid-like than i expected!
I tried to take a couple of pictures but it was a nightmare, the little buggers are quick and VERY shy. Anyway, i hardly managed to get a couple of shots when i turned off the light and they started to explore a bit, but still, the pictures are really bad....sorry. I hope to be able to get some decent ones soon.

Thanx Joost for the animals and for the great service, it´s been a pleassure dealing with you.
I´m off now to watch them a little bit more :p

Attachments

• P1070866.JPG
    P1070866.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 714
  • P1070861.JPG
    P1070861.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 662

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers, Chris :D
And thanx for all the help setting the tank and for the tips!

Viv

Reaction score
Could you post pictures of the whole tank please. Those are beautifull newts by the way.
Thanks
Alex

Joost

Reaction score
It's great to see when I can place my animals to dedicated persons, like you Azhael.

Very much luck and breeding succes with them in future.

Here some clearer pics of them, for those who are interested :D

Joost

Attachments

• dunni.JPG
    dunni.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 609
  • dunni2.JPG
    dunni2.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:

tony

Reaction score
I have a group here they are great to look after the males where marking there sticks but no breeding as yet maybe next year.How old are yours?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanx for adding some clear photos xD They are skittish as hell...

They are CB09, Tony.

I´ve been able to tweezer feed one of them. There are isopods and springtails around for them to hunt anyway. Hopefully, as they become more accostumed to their new home and they shake off the stress of the journey, i´ll get to see more of them. I already love the buggers!!

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad they are settling in. Tony - I'm not sure if you have a female in the group I gave you or not...there was one animal that might be, but I wasn't sure. Hopefully you will find out March time! Males tend to have Y-shaped cloacal openings (with the fork of the Y at the end closest to the head) while females have simple straight lines. These differences are there for more of the year than the breeding characteristics.

C

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Pfff...i can barely see mine...trying to check their cloacas will have to wait xDDD

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your best option is to catch them and put the in something with a transparent bottom that you can look through. You will probably have to wait until you clean them out! Hopefully you have a mixed group. Will you fridge them for the winter?
Henk Wallays' information here:
http://www.webpak.net/~cynorita/28large.pdf
on page 12 about raising Hynobius might be of use to you.

C

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´ll wait to check their sex, there´s no rush. I feel like i´ll give them a heartattack if i lift the bark, if i tried to catch them they´d explode.
I don´t think i´ll fridge them this winter. They are about 8cm ( i´m guessing here) so i´ll just give them a nice drop of temperatures to about 14-15ºC.

Cheers for the articles, Chris, you know i apreciate your help.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A better picture and a shot of the whole set-up.

Attachments

• P1070868.JPG
    P1070868.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 511
  • P1070870.JPG
    P1070870.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 491
  • P1070871.JPG
    P1070871.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 543

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I thought i´d make a little update since i managed to take some almost-decent pictures of these guys.
They are doing great, they have HUGE appetites and go berserk on each other if i leave them two days without food. Thank the gods they can regenerate pieces of tail like it wasn´t any trouble at all.
Some are already 10 cm or so, which supossedly is about the size they become mature, so they are doing very nicely.
I just bloody love them, i do. When there´s food around they are very bold and eat right from the tweezers, but otherwise you barely see a head poking out among the shadows if you move a bit (they are very curious).

Attachments

• P1080175.JPG
    P1080175.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 469
  • P1080180.JPG
    P1080180.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 495
  • P1080197.JPG
    P1080197.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 500
  • P1080199.JPG
    P1080199.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 509
  • P1080204.JPG
    P1080204.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

freves

Reaction score
Beautiful animals and setup Azhael. I am sure they will receive meticulous care.
Chip

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
No he is not. He is doing something wrong:D He is putting me envious of his salamanders!!! hahaha. Great work Rodrigo, I wish I had your luck and owned some of those!

Please breed em!
Cheers,
Jorge

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers everyone!
Erin, they are indeed robust, although i prefer the term FAT AS HELL. In the pictures they had already had time to digest their last meal, they are usually chunkier, they have such appetites! I´d consider feeding them a little less but then they´d try to eat each other....

Jorge, yes, breeding them is definitely the plan xD.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1