H. orientalis Larvae

kwarzym

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I know there are a few existing threads with much better quality pictures of baby newts...but I couldn't help it. Thanks to Jewett for sending them to me.

Again, sorry for the picture quality. They were taken with my very old smartphone.

The first few pictures are of the main tank, while the last few pictures are when I poured them into a fishbowl and fed them the first day to make sure they were eating and whatnot. Afterwards, they were added one by one into the main tank as I caught them. Interestingly enough, I have not seen any if the newts eat since the first day (except one the second day), but they all seem to be relatively active, and I can't seem to find many blackworms each evening.

Attachments

• newt tadpoles 003.jpg
    newt tadpoles 003.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 768
  • newt tadpoles 004.jpg
    newt tadpoles 004.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 488
  • newt tadpoles 005.jpg
    newt tadpoles 005.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 569
  • newt larvae 002.jpg
    newt larvae 002.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 403
  • newt larvae 004.jpg
    newt larvae 004.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 468
  • newt larvae 009.jpg
    newt larvae 009.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 666
One morphed yesterday, and is now sitting on a log. However, it's markings are quite a bit different - black with really fine gold spots, almost like dust, unlike all of it's siblings that are dark with faint orange bellies. Is this normal? Or is it just abnormally colored? Either way, it looks really neat, and makes it easy to identify (besides being the only one to no longer have gills, of course).

Again, sorry for the cruddy pictures, I think I am going to buy a point and shoot digital camera just for taking pictures of the newts at this point :lol:

Can we get a picture of the gold dusted fellow?

My newts just started laying again too, and I'm geting pretty excited about it :D

Hope you have fun with yours.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back