Half Digested Worm in Poop

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just took a look inside my axolotl's tank and noticed a new turd that was much messier than usual. I took a closer look and noticed that there was a half-digested, but still quite visible chunk of nightcrawler. While cleaning it up, I found a couple more chunks that were only partially digested. Normally his poop does not have any identifiable pieces, so this is a little worrying to me. Has anybody else ever encountered this problem? Should I be worried?

He's about a year and a half old, approximately 12 inches long. I usually alternate between feeding him worms and pellets. I feed him every other day, though sometimes I skip an extra day if he ate a particularly large worm. He typically poops about once a week, which may not sound like much, but he's definitely getting enough nutrients because his body is the same width as his head.

I did recently switch back to feeding him nightcrawlers (instead of red wigglers--he likes both, and the red wigglers are usually more accessible, but not at the moment). He's never had problems with nightcrawlers before and has been eating them for over a week. His behavior and appetite have been normal, but we'll see if he's willing to eat tomorrow (his normal feeding day).

Any diagnoses or solutions y'all can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!!

That's one big axie! 😮my Styx is almost 3 yrs old and he's 9 inches! But anyway try feeding him half a night crawler and see if it helps, if not stick to red wrigglers, he's probably not digesting the big worms.😀

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back