Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Half n' half axoltls

TJ

Reaction score
10031.jpg

These were engineered by slicing the eggs of albino and "wild" variety axolotls and then splicing them together.

Source: Science for Life, Tokyo University Digital Museum
http://www.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/dm2k-umdb/publish_db/books/sl/chapter1/08.html

K

kaysie

I think they'd look better the other way around. they look like they're suffering from vitiligo (for those not medically inclined: this disease destroys melanin in skin cells, making large patches of white skin (which Michael Jackson claims to have, but i highly doubt it))

S

sara

Actually I think they are fascinating although the method for creating them ...
sick.gif

I don't read Japanese, what are the details?

C

cataldo

I feel like those axols just joined a gang and are heading out into the night to do bad things. You can splice them together? Yikes.

On the funny side: How about we take a salamandra egg and a Cryptobranchus egg and make a COLORFUL LOOKING Hellbender?

Well, My mind has fallen apart now.

K

kaysie

when the egg is still in egg form and is just starting to split, you can cleave off certain cells (which will develop into certain parts) and then fuse them to another egg who's had those cells removed, and voila, a spliced axie. Cataldo, splicing wouldnt work between Salamandra and Cryptobranchus due to the fact that they're TOO different. but i imagine you COULD take the genes of salamandra that cause the colorfulness and insert them into cryptobranchus and hope they're taken into the cell and then expressed.

R

richard

I like those too. What about making them, do people have any opinions on if it might be wrong? Do these animals live normally?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Their is a section about this in "Developmental Biology of the Axolotl" by Armstrong and Malacinski. They call them chimera. The embryo fusion doesn't look like it would be real difficult. You cut two embryos in half at the neurula stage and hold them together with two stainless steel plates. Each plate has half an oblong hole in it. The two halves of the embryo fuse in 3 to 4 hours and the plates are removed. The axolotl develops normally. Their are practical research reasons for doing this. The one that intrigued me was splicing a heart lethal embryo with a normal embryo. The heart lethal would die at a certain stage or age. By splicing the back half of the lethal embryo to the front half of a normal axolotl you now have an axolotl that carries the lethal gene but can survive.
They look pretty cool and "making" some chimera has crossed my mind. I don't think it would be unethical. They would grow and develop like a normal axolotl except for the color. They would breed just like whatever type axolotl they have the sex organs of.

J

jennifer

It would be interesting to try. In my limited experience, embryo manipulations that sound simple in theory may still have a high rate of technical failure and/or infection. You might have to make a number of attempts before it worked, but it sounds do-able.

M

mik

All though these are v interesting, certainly novel, I don't think I could do that to an axie.

Question: These are all white bodies with dark heads...Why isn't there a photo of white heads and dark bodies too? Didn't they survive or were they just thrown out?

Seen the site but couldn't read Japanese...

Regards,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1