Harrassing fruitflies

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
I have a fruit fly running around my monitor, presumably it is an escapee from my dart frog tank, generally I just squish them but with it being a bank holiday weekend in the UK (ie I get monday off on full pay so can get seriously hammered tonight!) I decided to chase it round my monitor with my cursor( just to mess with its head). After a couple of minutes I realized it always tried to escape anti clockwise, is this typical fruit fly behavior ? As to the particular species, I keep two, big ones and small ones, it's a small one or a baby big one.... probably .... I have no idea.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Despite masses of literature on fruit fly behaviour I don't think anyone has chased them with a cursor on a monitor in a research paper! Their behaviour is pretty stereotypical but I don't know if dfferent flies would all flee anti clockwise or if there would be a 50/50 split.

Two personal observations, most flies sitting on the outside of windows ignore objects from inside so I'm surprised fruit flies react to the surface of the monitor! Years ago, I observed a winged greenfly trapped in condensation on a window making a trail at 45 degrees directly towards a cactus in a pot on the green painted windowsill. My father said surely it couldn't see that as food, so I moved the cactus and the greenfly changed direction!

I hope your head doesn't feel to hammered tomorrow!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
Thanks Bernard, I will try to replicate my results next bank holiday weekend with a larger sample of flies and three liters of cider.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Looolllllll
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axiegel & Edgar:
    i need help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    With?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    @Axiegwhats el & Edgar,
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    What is wrong?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if I possibly crashed my tanks cycle? I’ve had a cycling tank for months now, changing 25% water weekly. I never had any problem until a few days ago when I did a 50% water change. I did this because the tank was looking extra dirty for some reason and also I siphoned too much water out trying to vacuum the sand. I noticed since that water change, my axolotl has been hiding more, barely eating, and only moving from time to time. I checked the water perimeters and they are .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. I normally have 0 ammonia, I haven’t had above 0 since I was first cycling the tank. Did I make an error or is this just a fluke? What should I do?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Im worried about my lil girl, she’s normally fairly active and a pig when it comes to food. Should I tub her until I figure out the tank situation? Am I overreacting lol?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Also, she is about a year old. Her tail is perfectly straight and her gills are perky (not curled forward). She’s looking perfectly fine, just acting weird
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Sorry one more thing, when I changed the water last I removed a few plastic plants that I realized were taking up too much room. Would the removal of the bacteria on the plants mess it up?
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Maybe, I’m not to sure. I’ve done lots of research when i got my baby axolot. Maybe she is just adjusting to the new tank?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    mavrixwk has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Robpod86:
    What can I do to help my tiger that is bloated. Been bloated for 2 months. Ty
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Tiger..?
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    Tiger = Tiger Salamandrr its tiring to type the whole thing
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Oh ok, I dont know anything about those, I’m an axolotl owner sorry
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Urgent: My nitrates shot up to 80 ppm. I have no idea why and I’m freaking out. Should I put my axolotl in a tub????
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    @Toothpickthelotl, I definitely would. And then do a big water change
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    @Nioa, ok, do you know why it might’ve spiked? I just did a water change a few days ago and tested all the perimeters and it was at 10 nitrate
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    i have never had nitrates so high
    +1
    Unlike
    Toothpickthelotl: i have never had nitrates so high +1