Harvesting blackworms from aquarium substrate

L

lily

hi,

i am not a newt or salamander keeper (more out of budget and space constraints) but joined this forum because i am interested in culturing live foods for my fish and inverts.

i recently had some blackworms hitch a ride from some plants i bought at my lfs--they are now living happily (i assume) in my substrate. i don't feed them anything in particular but assume that they will feed off any excess food, plant debris and poop from the other inhabitants.

i have ramshorn snails, wood shrimp, ghost shrimp and 2 dwarf gouramis. it is a 10 gallon heavily planted tank.

my questions are:
1)i want to start harvesting the worms to feed to my 20 gallon tank but don't want to disturb the rest of the 10g tank by vacuuming the gravel. how do i lure them out in a trap? i have made a small trap out of a kinder egg toy container but what bait should i use?
2)what is a good temperature to keep them? i have read that they prefer colder temperatures, like in a fridge, but i have also read anecdotes that they will survive and thrive in an aquarium environment, which i assume is more around the mid-70s range. my 10 gallon is kept around 78F. as far as i know, the worms are doing fine, but i want to make sure that the colony is thriving and making worm babies.

thanks for any info!

lily

Welcome, Lily. My first question is: are you sure that the worms are blackworms? Does the shop where you bought the plants also sell blackworms (in which case, it would be quite likely), or not?

The only thing I have ever seen "attract" blackworms, was a piece of cut-up earthworm. Blackworms seem very indifferent to any other kind of food sitting around.

What size of fish/inverts do you want to feed with the blackworms? If they are small, I would recommend getting a culture of Dero (microfex) worms. They are much more productive in culture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back