Question: Has anyone had to re-cycle tank as Axies grew in size?

Krispen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Krispen
Hi guys-
I have a 75 gallon with 6 axies in it. The tank was cycled this summer when everyone was about 3-5 inches long. Now they are all 5-8 inches long and I'm seeing nitrite re-appear. Anyone else have these issues as their axies have grown? My tank has also gone down in temp as the weather has cooled making me think bacteria might be growing at slower rate. Starting to use Prime freshwater and saltwater to help with excess nitrites. Doing water changes 20% weekly; rinsing filters in tank water and replacing; pooper scooping daily and cleaning out filters monthly. Everybody looks healthy and fine....

I read somewhere that as axies age they eat less so produce less waste, but i suppose if they are bigger their poops might be bigger?

Do you have ceramic noodles in your filter? i really recommend them for BB to grow on! i was having slight nitrate problems and after adding these to my filter i need to take less water out during my water changes to reduce the nitrates.
Maybe your filter isnt big enough to support that many axies in a tank?

You could try adding an extra sponge filter in there, or ceramic noodles, or more live plants to help the cycle :D
Another suggestion would be to get a pothos plant and you just sit the roots in there with the rest out of water (its a house plant) and that helps with nitrates

Hey there!
I have whisper filters that have these plastic wheely things- non-porus. Maybe I could take them out and replace? I will try plant too- in the past they kept falling apart and added to waste issue. I feed every-other day. Should I reduce feeds too?

I looked those plants up and I have tons already- like this?
a2ejane8.jpg
vyve4eha.jpg

If you cycled the tank with the axies in it, the cycle should keep up with them as they grow.

If you're finding your water quality is turning poorly, I imagine it's because your tank is overcrowded. You're also probably feeding too much. Adults only need to be fed two or 3 times a week at most.

As adult axolotls, they really only need to eat 3 times a week. So you could back off the feeding a little.

I did have a question though. Is it nitrite levels or nitrate levels that have gone up. It is weird to have a nitrite spike without an ammonia spike or something else. So bacteria has plenty of places to grow because the bacteria has is successfully turning the ammonia into nitrite. (Although adding more stuff couldn't hurt)

if it is nitrates that are building up, that is the end of the cycle so that just means you would need to do water changes or add some plants to suck up those nitrates.

Either way nitrites and nitrates are WAY less toxic to axolotls then ammonia. So that's good!

Josh

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Hi Josh!
My nitrites are 1 and Nitrates 4- I haven't tested for ammonia but will do it tomorrow. I can definitely decrease feeding frequency as well. Ordered ceramic beads to replace plastic wheel bio-plates. I've heard approx 10 gallon per lotl is suggested- is this right?

10 gallons per axolotl is the minimum, yes. But usually people add a couple more gallons to account for any decorations or hides they decide to put into the tank. So, for one adult axolotl, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put it into a 20 gallon. That way there's plenty of space for anything you put into the tank.

Others have pretty much covered it, they only need feeding if their tummy is thinner than their head, around 3 times a week should cover it :D
It sounds like your describing bio balls and they are generally recommended for wet/dry filters, if you filter is a wet filter (a lot are) then ceramic noodles are better for surface area for the good bacteria to grow.
Nitrite at 4ppm sounds awfully high so i would start doing 30% daily water changes until the tank is fully cycled.
Elodea is also a fast growing plant that would be good for your tank, does your pothos have roots? i cant see any in the water in that pic

Update- moved 2 of my 6 to a 29 gallon, got some moss balls and ceramic "gravel" to put in my filter. Been nitrite free ever since. Also was only vacuuming sand. Took everybody out and gave the sand a good mixing- there was SO MUCH waste I wasn't getting with siphon!!! I know this helped as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back