Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Having fire newt

thehulk

Reaction score
Helo , i from Malaysian, some kind of Asian, i have 3 fire belly newt today, actually i have 2 fire belly before, one died and one more are escape to no where to be found again, now i got 2 big and fat newt and one more are small and i place it with 3 small bichir, i don,t know what is male and female, 2 of my 3 newt notably large and fat, what is that, it is healthy ?

Attachments

• 2012-05-27 15.08.12.jpg
    2012-05-27 15.08.12.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 279

Chamaeleo

Reaction score

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. They are paddletail newts, and they need to be kept as cool/cold as possible. Also, they need a very secure lid to prevent escape, as you learned before. Good luck with them!

thehulk

Reaction score
oh, i though it was fire belly, at the local shop, it is called fire belly newt and,did u mean they are not tolerate to warmer temp? its cause my previous newt died ? they are slime turn white and when i touch it , it like a harden mucous, just barely alive about 1 hour before they die at the same time the water are warm than before , it so my mistake because the aquarium just place beside the windowsill

AngieD

Reaction score
My paddletails were sold as 'fire belly newts' too.
Make sure your tank has plenty of places to hide, these newts are quite shy at times. Could you post a picture of the whole tank?

Paddle tails prefer colder temperatures - mine tend to fight more when the room is warmer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!