Having trouble feeding fire salamander live food

Nate0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just recently got this young salamander (around a year old) a couple of days ago everything has been fine but the only thing I'm worried about is feeding. First feeding i accidently poured too many micro crickets in (I did see him eating them) and they were everywhere in the tank so I caught and killed a few but there were far too many to do much so I just left them and hoped they would die on their own. Fast forward to second feeding he eats one live micro cricket I offer him but he refuses the rest. After 2 other failed feeding attempts I do notice all the crickets gone but I don't know if that's natural causes or being eaten by him and I'm worried because I have no evidence of him eating for ages and don't want him to starve. I have also tried to feed him with tweezers but the micro crickets are so small they die as soon as I pick them up so wondering how to feed them. Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated

He might be eating them overnight on his own if there is still possibly some in the tank.

Yeah I did think of that but all the things I've read about this say you should remove any none eaten ones strait away because they don't eat the left over ones,so i dont really know

Ask yourself the opposite questions :
Do your salamander have a plump belly or not ?
Do you find some moldy little masses somewhere in the tank (dead uneaten crickets) ?

Fire salamanders are active nocturnal predators.

Update: I fed him last night and he ate 2 of the crickets while I was watching (only for like 5 seconds or so) so I think he is eating now. I did have a look around the tank and there were no dead crickets but he wasn't plump either but I only just got him and they are quite skinny when you get them from the pet shop so I think he would be fat even if he had eaten them. But I will post again if I notice him not eating again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back