Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

he’s axanthic right?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
this happy baby boy(?) was sold to me as melanoid but i’m fairly certain he’s axanthic
pictures:
59CF7D24-C857-4505-BFD1-07B325E9BD84.jpeg
stomach shot lol

F4A8417B-C7B1-47AA-899C-B7F1A06DD24A.jpeg

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert on color typing, but it does look like there are some iridiphores on it in that second picture, which would disqualify it from being melanoid. I know that axanthics are usually more purple though, so I'm not sure it would be that either; it might just be a very dark wild type. Either way, it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

Last edited:

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert on color typing, but it does look like there are some iridiphores on it in that second picture, which would disqualify it from being melanoid. I know that axanthics are usually more purple though, so I'm not sure it would be that either; it might just be a very dark wild type. Either way, it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
ah, it’s just sand particles on his little head lol. thank you though :)

AMurry24537

Reaction score
ah, it’s just sand particles on his little head lol. thank you though :)
That makes sense, but it looked like there was some near the tail? Thats what I was noticing. Hard to tell if that's sand or iridiphores in that picture

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
That makes sense, but it looked like there was some near the tail? Thats what I was noticing. Hard to tell if that's sand or iridiphores in that picture
ah, he’s got a tiny bit on the end of his tail that just lacks pigmentation :)

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
literally what even is she? I’ve heard talk of “silver dalmatians” but am unsure if it an actual morph or just a made up morph, but her color fluctuations are incredible. here’s her looking like a dalmatian;
2CA1E000-78D3-460F-BB68-2037CE6CA37C.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!