Question: Healthy Happy Tummy?

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cyn
I tend to worry about everything when it comes to my beloved pets. So just a check up to make sure this is a happy healthy tummy of my leucistic. Now that my second axolotl has arrived Saskia seems overweight with a dark belly compared to the other golden albino. I also want to make sure the dark parts aren't filled with sand since I do have black sand but she also eats dark bloodworms. She eats twice a day and has solid poop. What do ya'll think? How does she look? These are the best photos I could take since she was not going to stop moving for anyone!

Attachments

• DSC04073.JPG
    DSC04073.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC04069.JPG
    DSC04069.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC04068.JPG
    DSC04068.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC04074.JPG
    DSC04074.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC04067.JPG
    DSC04067.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 495
She looks healthy to me. Food will generally turn a darker color as it works it way through the digestive track. If you are concerned with sand, start using a feeding jar. Feeding directly on the sand would cause your axolotls to involuntarily ingest some sand through the vacuum-like method they use to eat. A feeding jar has the added benefit of making blood worms a lot less messy too.

Yeah I use one of those plastic critter keeper containers. I turn it over and Saskia will swim in there and then I scoop her upward and that's how she eats. The new axolotl Sage freaked out over it but it was his first time. :)

Plump, nice gills, good colour...I can't see anything that would concern me, she looks perfectly healthy to me :) Pretty girl too.

As long as her tummy is as wide as her head, shes at a good weight :D

She looks healthy to me. Food will generally turn a darker color as it works it way through the digestive track. If you are concerned with sand, start using a feeding jar. Feeding directly on the sand would cause your axolotls to involuntarily ingest some sand through the vacuum-like method they use to eat. A feeding jar has the added benefit of making blood worms a lot less messy too.

My axies actually have a food bowl that they eat from. It helps with the mess too, and what ever falls out usually gets snatched up by little shrimps.

Thanks for the replies. She is a spoiled little creature. Glad she looks well. Or he...but to me everything is female. :p

It's still going to be a few months before you'll be able to tell the sex. I'm more interested to see how the markings turn out because I love the axolotls with lots of freckles. Is this one of Marige's babies?

Yup, this is totally one of Margie's babies! Did the cute freckles give it away? :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back