Heart stopping moment

A

alan

Working on the theory that my Neurergus kaiseri did not breed last year because they were not cooled down enough, mine have spent the last five weeks in a well ventilated plastic box, with a layer of compost, corkbark and a small water dish approximately one inch deep. Temperatures have ranged from 10C to 0C overnight. They have remained "active" (in as far as kaiseri can ever be said to be active) during this time, visiting the water dish each night, and, so far as I can tell from their bellies, feeding.
With temperatures dropping and snow forecast, my nerve cracked this morning and I went to move them to a slightly warmer, frost-free location. My heart stopped when I saw that the water dish was frozen – with the kaiseri in the shallow layer of water beneath the ice. And then, they moved.
I immediately removed them and moved the box to the alternative location. They seem to be OK, but undoubtedly would not have lasted the day as the water would have frozen solid. Time will tell whether there is any lasting harm, and if they breed this season (but there's a few more weeks of winter for them first)!

Quite a close call, Alan. Thanks for sharing this horrifying experience.
blush.gif

It's moments like these that make you turn grey early, you know. I've had a similar experience with a Salamandra-larva in a relict bubble of liquid water encased in a block of ice (did I hear anybody say GODZILLA?
biggrin.gif
). The larva survived and grew up to be a nice and strong salamander. I keep my fingers crossed for your animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back