Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heaters compatible with newts.

B

benjamin

I was wondering what types of heater I could get that would be able to keep my tanks at any temperature between 5º and 15º celcius. I don't have a single heater that goes lower than 18º. I intend to make a major aquatic shopping venture and am wondering what models/companies to look out for.

K

kaysie

er, why would you need a heater to keep your tanks cold?

B

benjamin

Well no not to cool them I keep them out side in a garden shed where temps go below zero in the winter. I wan't a heater that will keep them above these temps but below 20º.

K

kaysie

Get a small space heater. Increase the ambient temperature slightly. 1.) cheaper than buying lots of tank heaters. 2.) if it malfunctions, you dont have to worry about frying what's in the tanks.

B

benjamin

Could hooking the space heater up to a thermostat help to have ideal temps.

J

jennifer

For what it's worth, a space heater would use a lot more electricity, and could run a risk of fire. You could set the 18C heater on its lowest setting and use a timer to run it a couple of hours on nights when it might freeze. (I don't know how cold your climate is, so I don't know if this would be sufficient.)

C

clarence

I've always been fond of the free-standing electric radiators myself.

B

benjamin

I've been thinking of doing this with the aquarium heaters and timers. I thought that the space heater may waist some electricity and set my small, wooden, uninsulated garden shed on fire. I could just put some insulating material (eg. fabric, cardboard, styrofoam) around the aquarium to keep it from dropping in temperature too much, where as insulating the whole shed would be difficult.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!