Hellbender Fieldwork

A bit off topic, yet another cause of adrenalin surge whilst doing fieldwork can be waterfowl or other big birds. Some ducks will stay in cover until you almost step on them and then will take off with a lot of noise. I once had a big pheasant almost jump into my face from an overgrown gravel bank and then take off across the river. Made my heart skip a beat or two.
blush.gif

the worst scare I ever had in the field was when I startled a deer out from in front of me when I reached the top of a steep bank (where the high grass started). It wasn't enough that my family got to hear me scream, but I fell down the side of the bank into the mud and had to climb out all over again.

Ed

Quick correction on my last post - mudpuppies are east of my area and not west (tired while posting). The worst scare that I ever had was actually in an old shed that I was backing a riding mower out of. I turned around to remove an obstruction, when I turned back around a large spider had lowered itself by it's webbing and touched down right on the bridge of my nose the moment I turned. I thought that I was going to require CPR!
Chip

Beautiful pic Pin-pin. The one that scared me was one of the local brown varieties. The surprise was what got me though, otherwise I'm not the least bit arachnophobic (I once kept a Mexican red knee for 21 years).

Hi Pin Pin,
Argiope are supposed to taste like oysters with a slight nutty flavor.

Ed

Ed, I'll have to try that. We have an overabundance of them around the house. Beautiful webs though.

Snapping turtles are not very aggressive toward massive prey (say, humans) while in the water. But if you attempt to remove one from the water, or harass it on land, count your blessings if it doesn't remove an appendage.

PS: I've also suffered the attack of the pheasant. Foul (fowl? lol) little beasts. I think if I were a predator, I'd be more willing to eat it after it scared the stuffing out of me, out of sheer annoyance.

Well Ed since you and I have off early this week, we should go survey more. Especially with the rain today it'll be just like last year...
Justin

P.S. Bet you didn't expect to see me posting here...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back