Hello and Chemistry

GROWMEZ

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Will
Hi
I'm getting my first Axolotl next week. I've been running the tank for a week with nothin in it. an anyone tell me ideal levels for Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, and ammonia? Also what to do to correct wrong levels? A table on the site clearly showin all this would be great, is there one?
Ta
Gromez

Cheers Kaysie
I had read the info you suggest - I find it all a bit strange being new to it. No doubt it'll all seem so simple in a few weeks! I reckon a nice clear table would help tons of new axolotl owners and save a lot of grief!
Gromez

Acceptable levels are as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0-60 ppm
pH: 6-9 (they're not too picky)
Temps: 5-20C

Any levels above these can be considered dangerous.

You'll definitely get the swing of things after a few days. Don't be afraid to ask any questions!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back