Hello and Greetings!

LisaRotcorp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and thank you for the add! This spring I acquired a small adorable little critter from my dads pond in mid Michigan. At first we thought it was a tadpole, the kids and I decided to put it in a tiny tank to watch it grow. To our surprise it did not resemble a tadpole for long, It grew gills! I did some looking around on the good ol internet to discover that we had a Salamander Larvae! I have had this little guy since mothers day and my kids and I have really enjoyed watching this little guy grow. We fed him mainly mosquito larvae and as he got bigger the occasional wax worm and garden worm. We watched him grow legs and toes like magic. He is now beginning to lose his frilly gills and turn into a salamander. I don't know exactly what type of salamander he is, however I have learned to drain out some of the water and made an embankment for him to climb up on to get out of the water when he is ready. I have a clear tote and a bag of pine bark mulch on hand for when he no longer needs to be in the water. I wonder how long before I should put him into this new home? Forgive the quality of the pic, I will be trying for clearer pictures.

Attachments

• SalamanderNubs.jpg
    SalamanderNubs.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 110
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back