Hello and please help!!

AR

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

My name is Amy, and I'm really worried about my axolotl. He used to poop every day or two, was really active and not at all scared of us, but lately he's been really freaked out, spends a lot of time hiding, and hasn't pooped in weeks! He still eats, he just doesn't take it from us like he usually does. I know the temperature is probably a little higher than it should be (about 25degrees Celsius), but it has always been like this and he's never been bothered before. He does still occasionally walk around the tank, but doesn't swim around like he used to. My biggest worry is the not pooping and suddenly being really scared. He isn't bloated, he eats pellets and occasionally earthworms, he gets about 20% fresh cool (about 4degree Celsius) water every second day, everything gets de-chlorinated, I just can't figure out the sudden personality change and lack of poop. If anyone could help that'd be great :)

Hi, welcome, I moved this to the axolotl area, as it will be more likely to be read.

Is he still eating normally? Have you done any water tests? Is there anything else you can do to lower the temp? See:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Thanks! Yeah he eats the same as he always has. We used to give it to him by hand but now he is too scared to come to us so we drop it in. I put the cold water in every day or two which usually brings it down a little, but it's been the same temperature since we got him (about 6months ago), and its only been the last month he's been not pooping and being all scared.

Have you tested the water chemistry; ammonia, nitrite?

It's my understanding that higher water temps leave the axolotls more susceptible to disease. It's possible that he's made due with his circumstances for the last six months but now the risk of the warm water is catching up with him.

Also, I'm not the most experienced with axolotls so more knowledgeable members may disagree with me but I think that adding cold water to his tank every other day and putting him through this constant warm to cold to warm to cold ect cycle might be doing more harm than good. It seems to me that the constant change in temp would confuse his body even more. But like I said, I'm not an expert so this is just my opinion.

I would definitely try to find fans or something that you could put over the tank to keep the temperature down steadily. I've read a lot of these "sick lotl" topics and high tank temps seem to be one of the leading causes of illness.

What are your water parameters? Check your water quality, if it's bad it will be upsetting your axie.
Can you get the temperature down? If you're in Aus you REALLY need a chiller.
Is there a chance your axie is pooping and it's disintegrating and getting sucked into the filter?
Do you have a light in your tank? If so turn it off, axies don't like lights.
If you are adding chilled water to a warm tank you could be upsetting your axie with frequent temp changes - keep it steady at 15-20C, not swinging between warm and cold.

When I add the cool water it's only a small percentage of the total amount of water, it only drops it from 25degrees to 23 or so, not enough to upset him. I know I need to get a cooler and the last water check I did was fine. Is there anything else that can make them stop pooping and change personality?

Hi Amy,

Is there gravel or sand in your tank?

You can lower the temp if you aim a small fan - 15cm plastic fan from K-Mart works well - directly onto the water. This is an evaporation method and works well. It all comes down to the temp of the room as well.
You can also have some water bottles frozen, and swap them to keep the temp lowered. You have to keep an eye on the temp though, as it can be fiddly and you don't want the temp to fluctuate.

Long term, the ONLY way to survive Aussie heat is a chiller. Age of Aquariums have a good range and are really good to deal with.

Hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back